Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Aids from blister popping??
Aug 12, 2006

So I'm an idiot. I was at the gym working out and noticed I had a painful blister on my left foot. Instead of just letting it be I decided to take my gym locker safety pin, and after a "thorough" cleaning of the head of the pin with my gym shorts and saliva, I leaked the blister through the pin prick to the first and maybe second layers of my skin. Semi-immediately regretting my idiocy I finished up a 20 minute bike workout and rushed home, peeled back the blister (breaking the 3rd layer of skin) and soaked the toe in rubbing alchohol for half an hour. Is there any chance of the single random surviving HIV molecule on the pin reaching my blood in that 30 minute time frame? I'm a biology-genetics student for god's sake so I feel like I somehow deserve the punishment just for my outright ignorance (and possibly subsequent unfounded paranoia). Please make me feel better!! I beg of you!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Biology-Genetics Student,

Idiot??? Nah. Anyone studying biology and genetics doesn't qualify for that moniker. Now if you said you were a student of "intelligent design," well then yes, you'd be an idiot.

I do agree spit and sweaty gym shorts don't quite qualify as sterile precautions. I will also point out that "semi-immediately" is an oxymoron, and your self-surgery in between bench presses did not place you at any risk whatsoever for HIV!

So relax, Max! Your paranoia is indeed "unfounded!" (By the way, isn't all paranoia unfounded by definition????)

Stay well. Keep studying. Someday, when you are more knowledgeable about the biology of germ transmission, particularly HIV, you'll look back and smile at these unwarranted worries.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I have signs of HIV
Next
Fun with a Russian hooker gone bad! Not HIV related

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.