the Truth Doctor

I have so much respect 4 u because your honest-my latest side effect is my huge belly and total fatigue-I read that hgh works-any chance it will be approved? Larry Kramer's book excerpt posted on this site says drug companies never cure diseases because they wouldn't make money-When was the last time a disease was cured???As an honest man doesn't this make you lose faith as a Doctor who wants to save lives-After 18 years of aids-and every side effect now at 47 I think this last side effect-my totally disfigured body and need to sleep 18 hours per day-not to mention all lumps bumps and sores from fuzion injections-is going to be my final struggle-my fight is gone-why have any hope-It just seems like more suffering but in a different way-I am very sad-

Human growth hormone (HGH) has been approved for quite some time; however, its effectiveness in treating lipohypertrophy related to HIV and its therapies remains in question. Any beneficial effects are transient and recur promptly when the drug is discontinued. Human growth hormone also carries significant risks and therefore the risk-benefit ratio needs to be carefully considered.

Regarding cures for diseases, science has made remarkable progress in areas too numerous to list. As for Larry Kramer's comments, they reflect only his personal opinion as an AIDS activist. My personal opinion as a physician, scientist and HIV/AIDS specialist is quite different. I respect Larry's opinion and give him credit for his efforts to raise awareness of the epidemic (ACT-UP, GMHC, etc.) and to speed up the FDA-drug-approval process. However, I do not believe drug companies are keeping a cure for AIDS under wraps just to make a profit.

I do agree you are "very sad." In fact, you sound clinically depressed. I suggest you talk to your HIV specialist about your feelings of hopelessness and fatigue, as they could both be related to depression, which is amenable to treatment.

I would also suggest you talk to your HIV specialist about your other concerns:

1. "Huge belly." I would not recommend HGH, but there may be other treatment modalities that may help.

2. "Lumps and bumps from Fuzeon." Some of this may be related to technique and site selection for your injections. Also, you might consider trying the needleless Bioject device. It's not yet approved in the U.S., but clinical trials are enrolling and you may well be a candidate for enrollment.

Finally, "why have any hope . . . ?" Because hope is what keeps all of us alive and kicking! I suggest you do both hope and kick!

I'm here if you need me.

PLEASE DR BOB. Have I put myself at risk for HIV? I want to donate too.
I have signs of HIV