Incident at hospital-FREAKING OUT!

Hello Dr Bob, first of all, just like many say, you really do great work, and I thank you for that. Now my question. I fell roller blading a week ago tomorrow and tore off most of my knee. I had a huge hole and had to go the hospital. Well, I was training for a new job in another state, and had to go to an unfamiliar hospital. They were very nice, but one thing that stuck out was that when the nurse changed the dressing on my very big open cut, she didn't wear gloves. When she stuck a tube in to clean inside the cut, she wore gloves, but they couldn't stitch the hole because of the position of it. So she applied steri-strips to close it, and a new gauze pad with medicine on it, all while not wearing gloves. Should I be concerned about this? I have developed a dry cough over the past 2 days, and am now thinking it could be because of that. What do you think? I will absolutely send a donation, like I said, you really do great work! Thanks again for your compassion.

You tore a huge hold in your knee rollerblading? OUCHAMAGOUCHA!

Generally speaking, "universal precautions" would recommend that the nurse wear gloves when tending to an open wound. The real reason to do so would be to protect her! After all you were the one with the ripped knee! Chances of her contaminating you from the activities described would be essentially nil. I do not believe HIV testing is warranted.

Don't forget your knee pads the next time you decide to blade down Devil's Slide, OK?

why-o-why!
(not so) sad and (not so) sorry aussie