Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Incident at hospital-FREAKING OUT!
Jul 26, 2006

Hello Dr Bob, first of all, just like many say, you really do great work, and I thank you for that. Now my question. I fell roller blading a week ago tomorrow and tore off most of my knee. I had a huge hole and had to go the hospital. Well, I was training for a new job in another state, and had to go to an unfamiliar hospital. They were very nice, but one thing that stuck out was that when the nurse changed the dressing on my very big open cut, she didn't wear gloves. When she stuck a tube in to clean inside the cut, she wore gloves, but they couldn't stitch the hole because of the position of it. So she applied steri-strips to close it, and a new gauze pad with medicine on it, all while not wearing gloves. Should I be concerned about this? I have developed a dry cough over the past 2 days, and am now thinking it could be because of that. What do you think? I will absolutely send a donation, like I said, you really do great work! Thanks again for your compassion.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You tore a huge hold in your knee rollerblading? OUCHAMAGOUCHA!

Generally speaking, "universal precautions" would recommend that the nurse wear gloves when tending to an open wound. The real reason to do so would be to protect her! After all you were the one with the ripped knee! Chances of her contaminating you from the activities described would be essentially nil. I do not believe HIV testing is warranted.

Don't forget your knee pads the next time you decide to blade down Devil's Slide, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
why-o-why!
Next
(not so) sad and (not so) sorry aussie

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.