HIV2 & Testing

Hi Doc,

I was tested for HIV out to 18 months, three times, and all negative. I want to put these irrational fears to rest but I cannot. I am now afraid of HIV2 (with a white male from South Africa). One thing is on my mind. I have a small about the size of a dime rash-like thing on my upper leg. It has about four little pin-head bumps on it and I am afraid it is a sign of HIV2. Two questions: If testing for HIV1 out to 18 months, I have heard that these tets will detect HIV2 70% of the time. Is this true and what are my chances of three tests detecting HIV2? Second, this skin rash I am talking about.....does it sound like something associated with HIV? I have had it for 8 weeks now, put antibiotic gel on it, then tried anti-fungal stuff for over two weeks and it's not going away. It seems to change it's appearance a little, sometimes gets darker, especially if I am in the sun. Thank you so much. I have donated already and will do so again.

Regarding HIV-2, I do not believe you are at risk. As far as HIV-2 testing is concerned, some commercial labs now use combination EIA screening assays to detect HIV-1 and HIV-2 simultaneously, although this is not recommended by the CDC for routine screening. Of the FDA-approved rapid tests, OraQuick detects HIV-1 and HIV-2. Multispot also distinguished HIV-1 and HIV-2. Reveal G2 and Uni-Gold Recombigen are approved for detection of only HIV-1. I have no way of knowing what specific type of HIV tests you had performed.

Next, your "size-of-a-dime-rash-like thing" is not at all suggestive of or worrisome for HIV-1 or HIV-2. If it bothers you, go see a dermatologist. It is definitely not HIV related.

Thanks for your donation. Now stop worrying. HIV is not your problem.

Stay well.

worried sick and confused, need help!!!
medical student ....needs help....can't study......exams approaching