Some Words of Wisdom Please!!!!!

Greetings Dr. Bob Back in Feb '06 my wife had gone out of town for weekend, and my kids were staying at their grandparents. I made the mistake of having a sexual affair with a strange woman of unknown status. Two factors were involved. I received an unprotected blow job, and we had protected vaginal intercourse using a condom. The condom appearred to have not failed nor break. As a responsible Catholic, a week later, I went to confession to be foregiven. That wasn't enough. I still felt guilty. Eventually I told my wife what I did. Of course she was upset, angry and cried. For the next couple of months I was going through anxiety and depression. My blood presure was high, and I've been taking Zoloft for my depression and anxiety and three different kinds of meds for my blood presure. Both my wife and I have been going to marriage counseling which has helped us out a whole lot. I had an Ora Quik test done at 10 1/2 weeks after the potential exposure and was negative. I knew that wasn't conclusive, but I had to know where I currently stood at that point of time. 144 days after the potential exposure I had a HIV 1 & 2 Antibody test done. Again, NEGATIVE. Can I conclude that I am, with no doubt, negative and to stop worrying? My wife and I have recently become sexually intimate again. However, because of the fear of HIV, we've been using condoms to, at least, reduce her risk. Can we now stop using condoms at this point? I haven't had any other unwanted exposure/affair since February other than being sexually intimate with my wife. An answer from you will be extremely encouraging and benificial. So please, can I get a response? Thanks A Hopeful Soon To Be Happy Camper

Hello Hopeful,

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 144 days are definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative.

I agree with your decision to level with your wife and to get counseling to help you cope with your guilt (Catholic and otherwise), anxiety and depression.

If you and your wife are now monogamous, then condoms would not be necessary for STD/HIV protection.

Hope that helps.

Sad news(Ecuador)
Please help my sibling