wound care eye splash

hi dr. frascino,

i'm a nurse and i was irrigating an open decubitus ulcer on a patient who is hiv+ and some of the saline solution i used accidentally splashed on my face and maybe a drop went into my eye. the wound was not draining or oozing blood. i had my blood checked and the doc at the ER gave me combivir and azt for prophylaxis. i won't know the results until 3 days. how big is the risk that i contract hiv?

I would say your risk is negligible ". . . maybe a drop went into my eye."

I'm a bit concerned that the ER doctor gave you "Combivir and AZT" for PEP. Combivir is a combination drug that contains AZT and 3TC. Hopefully you are not being double dosed with AZT! I would suggest you review your case with an HIV specialist who may better be able to assess your real degree of risk and prescribe or adjust your PEP if indicated. He would also handle any PEP-related problems (side effects/toxicities, etc.) and arrange for appropriate follow-up HIV testing per the occupational-exposure guidelines.

Good luck!

Question sur la validite du test OraSure
Thank you sir!