Safe sex questions from students--Pt.2

Thank you very much for responding to my post "Safe sex question from a student" on July 12, 2006. My students and I enjoyed reading your reply.

I've found that a lot of my students care about safe sex but have limited access to correct info about HIV/STD's/safe sex, so they worry a lot. Yet they are also less likely (and less able than adults) to seek out HIV/STD testing or counseling for HIV/STD related OCD & anxiety because of social stigma, fear of parents, etc.

Again I would greatly appreciate your expert comments and corrections re: my answers to my students' questions below. I will spread these questions over 2 posts due to length.

1. Your forum is excellent. Can you recommend any other similar online forums that are geared more for younger teens (13-16) vs. older teens/adults?

2. Although the sexual practices of some homosexual men place them at higher risk for sexually acquired HIV, HIV is NOT a "gay disease". HIV, like any disease, doesn't discriminate according to sexual orientation. Any sexually active person can get HIV, gay or straight. Knowing the risks and how to be safe are most important.

3. Life can and does go on after HIV infection! Everyone reading this should immediately visit the inspirational bio of Robert J. Frascino at the Body: http://thebody.com/bios/rfrascino.html

Thanks!

Welcome back to the forum.

1. Sorry, no, I do not know of any similar online service geared to the younger teen demographic. You might check out some of the written materials listed below to see if they might meet your needs. In addition, my foundation gave a grant to Oberlin College last year that they used to create a safer-sex guide book for their incoming freshman class. However, it, too, may be geared slightly above the age range you are targeting.

2. Absolutely agree!

3. Thanks! You might also check out the "inspirational stories" feature on The Body. It can be easily accessed by clicking on "inspirational stories" under the Quick Links listed on The Body's homepage.

You're welcome!

Safer Sex Guides & Information

READ FIRST:

Safer-Sex Methods (December 2003) A comprehensive look at HIV prevention and the risks of various sexual activities From HIV InSite

Safer Sex Guidelines (August 18, 2005) To read PDF, click here From New Mexico AIDS InfoNet

A Detailed Explanation of Safer Sex (April 2004) From Planned Parenthood

A Guide to Safer Sex (1998) From Society for Human Sexuality

Safer Sex (1997) An excerpt from the book If I Grow Up: Talking With Teens About AIDS, Love, and Staying Alive, by Scott Fried

Enjoying Safer Sex (Regularly updated) A guide from Williams College

Dr. Sex: The Joys of Safer Sex (March/April 2001) In Positively Aware, from Test Positive Aware Network

"Sex Acts and Facts: The Risks" (2000) An excerpt from Men Like Us, by Daniel Wolfe

Can You Have Safer Sex Without Latex Condoms? (December 1998) From Rick Sowadsky, M.S.P.H.

A Kiss Is Just a Kiss (October 1997) Why there's virtually no risk of getting HIV through a kiss From AIDS Care

Sex in the Age of AIDS (April 1997) From AIDS Care

STDs: Global Burden and Challenges for Control (1997) An excerpt from the book Control of Sexually Transmitted Diseases: A Handbook for the Design and Management of Programs From Family Health International

Sex and Other Matters of Life and Death (December 1996) From Thirteen/WNET-TV

What to Tell Your Patients About Safer Sex and Condom Use (August 1996) How to know which patients are at risk, and how to counsel them From HIV Newsline

The Psychological Epidemic (September 1995) An excerpt from the book In the Shadow of the Epidemic: Being HIV-Negative in the Age of AIDS, by Walt Odets

Didn't forget about you or your foundation
WOOHOO FROM DOWN UNDER!!!!!!