Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

You are of great comfort!
Jul 23, 2006

Hi Dr Bob

I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for the work you are doing. Your informative and comforting answers have been a great source of strength to me over the past 3 months.

I am due to pick up my blood test results on Thursday. I was unfortunately the victim of a broken condom incident during sex with a girl, HIV status unknown, in Thailand. I know the odds are well in my favour, but like so many before me, I can't help but think I may be the unlucky 1 in a 1,000. I have "imagined" most of the symptoms and have no idea whether my glands were swollen or if they were just the same as before. One answer I haven't been able to find is how severe are the "flu like" symptoms and do symptoms go away and return after a while? I also have a mouth ulcer, but maybe this is more to do with the stress I am now feeling.

I now have a girlfriend of a couple of months and I have played it very safe not wanting to put her at risk in anyway. I am falling in love with her so just want this next week to be over as soon as possible so I can resume my life.

I hope to share news of a absolutely frigging huge WOOHOO from Australia soon and a donation to your foundation will be forthcoming.

Andrew... in Sydney.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Andrew,

I agree your symptoms are more like "imagined" than real. You Aussie boys have such great imaginations!

The "flu like" symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome vary greatly form person to person. Some folks describe the flu from Hell while others hardly even notice it. ARS symptoms generally do not recur once they initially resolve.

I'll be waiting for that absolutely frigging huge WOO-HOO from the land down under.

In the meantime, pet a koala for me and if you get sad or scared, just listen to some kookaburra! Their cackling never fails to make me smile!

G'day, Mate!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Serosorting vs Superinfection
Next
thankyou so much

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.