Time to Convert--boyfriend already did

Doc, I started seeing an old boyfriend whom I am very much in love with. We started seeing each other and becoming sexually active 8 weeks ago (today is 7-17-06). Two weeks ago he told me he was positive. We had unprotected oral and some anal but never to orgasm and he never precums. When he told me he was postive, I of course "freaked out". I just tested negative last week after being sexually acitve with him for the past few weeks as described above. He is on meds and his viral load is like 1,600 he said. He got the sniffles last week but not a bad case. I on the other had have a terrible cold. I am worried I have serocoverted as they say and this cold is the result? WE are now having nothing but 100% safe sex, gloves, condoms, etc... What do you think the chances are that I have seroconverted and this cold is the proof? I know i just tested negative last week but maybe I seroconverted since then? Scared to death here......

Unprotected oral and anal sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Your recent negative HIV test is encouraging, but not definitive. You'll need to retest at the three-month mark (from your last potential exposure). If that test is negative, the CDC recommends one additional confirmatory test at six months (because you had a significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive).

Your "terrible cold" is not particularly worrisome. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who has seroconverted and who has not.

I agree with your 100% safer sex program.

Try not to be scared, but do get HIV tested, OK? Just for future reference, if an unavoidable exposure occurs, we would recommend a course of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) be started as soon as possible (and no later than 72 hours) to help prevent transmission of the virus.

I'll send my best good-luck karma that your tests remain negative. Either way, I'm here if you need me, OK?

Rome was not built in a day
hiv status foreign job contract renewl