Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

You rule!
Jul 20, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have two questions that my gyno just won't seem to give me straight answers on.

--I always use a condom when I have sex but I don't always know my partners' sexual histories... Does this still count as safer sex and how often should I be tested for HIV?

--I have had abnormal cells in my cervix as a result of HPV, although I've never had genital warts. I always use a condom, but theoretically--does the HPV put me at a higher risk for HIV transmission?

You are a wonderful fellow and it gives me joy to read your forum, even though you get some incredibly ridiculous questions (you always answer kindly and patiently.)

Thanks so much!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Proper and consistent use of a latex condom does indeed constitute safer sex, no matter what your partner's sexual history happens to be. How often you should be tested for HIV is a personal decision. Some guidelines suggest that for individuals with an active sex life, testing every six months could be considered. However, if indeed you "always use a condom" and if the latex condom is used properly and doesn't fail, the every-six-month testing guidelines may be more frequent than necessary, based on actual degree of risk.

HIV-induced cellular changes on the cervix would not put you at a higher risk for HIV transmission

I'm glad you enjoy the forum, ridiculous questions and all! And I actually don't rule at the moment, Republicans in all three branches of government do. But since they have so totally mucked up everything up with their corruption, cronyism, and utter incompetence I'm hopeful they won't be "ruling" much longer.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Don Frascino. What have you ever done to deserve such desrespect!
Next
no one to ask around, every statistic has to have its .05% victim, donation Q also.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.