You rule!

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have two questions that my gyno just won't seem to give me straight answers on.

--I always use a condom when I have sex but I don't always know my partners' sexual histories... Does this still count as safer sex and how often should I be tested for HIV?

--I have had abnormal cells in my cervix as a result of HPV, although I've never had genital warts. I always use a condom, but theoretically--does the HPV put me at a higher risk for HIV transmission?

You are a wonderful fellow and it gives me joy to read your forum, even though you get some incredibly ridiculous questions (you always answer kindly and patiently.)

Thanks so much!

Proper and consistent use of a latex condom does indeed constitute safer sex, no matter what your partner's sexual history happens to be. How often you should be tested for HIV is a personal decision. Some guidelines suggest that for individuals with an active sex life, testing every six months could be considered. However, if indeed you "always use a condom" and if the latex condom is used properly and doesn't fail, the every-six-month testing guidelines may be more frequent than necessary, based on actual degree of risk.

HIV-induced cellular changes on the cervix would not put you at a higher risk for HIV transmission

I'm glad you enjoy the forum, ridiculous questions and all! And I actually don't rule at the moment, Republicans in all three branches of government do. But since they have so totally mucked up everything up with their corruption, cronyism, and utter incompetence I'm hopeful they won't be "ruling" much longer.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Don Frascino. What have you ever done to deserve such desrespect!
no one to ask around, every statistic has to have its .05% victim, donation Q also.