Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So scared I am losing it
Jul 20, 2006

Im a 25 year old, After a sexual encounter with another man I found out I had gonorrhea now I am freaking out over HIV. The situation was, he preformed oral on me and put himself into me without condom for 5-10 seconds... then pulled out and I helped him to cum 3 minutes later. How did I get gonorrhea? and am I at risk now for HIV?

So scared.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello So Scared,

How did you get gonorrhea??? Dude, your buddy "performed oral on me" and "put himself into me without a condom" and yet you wonder how you got gonorrhea? Well it certainly wasn't from playing Parcheesi! Unprotected sex always, always, always places you at risk for STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), including gonorrhea and HIV! Some STDs are much easier to contract and/or transmit orally than others: gonorrhea is, for instance, transmitted orally quite readily, but HIV much less so.

Are you at risk for HIV??? Hopefully you now know the answer to this question! Yes! You are! Why? Because you had unprotected sex. However, your risk of acquiring HIV from oral sex is minimal. The risk of acquiring it form unprotected receptive anal is higher. Luckily your unprotected receptive anal sex was very brief and did not include ejaculation. These facts would mitigate your risk significantly, but certainly not completely eliminate the risk.

I have to wonder how, at age 25 and being sexually active, you still do not have even a rudimentary knowledge of how sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV, are transmitted!!?! I can only assume you are a victim of an abstinence-only sex education curriculum! It's time to wake up and get informed. I strongly suggest you spend some time reviewing the information on this site and related links pertaining to STDs, paying particular attention to how they are transmitted and how to protect yourself from infection. You can study this information while waiting to take your HIV test. You must wait at least until the three-month mark to take an HIV test, as tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive.

Stop being "so scared" and become "so informed," so that you'll know how to enjoy sex without placing yourself at undue risk.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE HELP!!! I WILL DONATE!! (resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum)
Next
risques

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.