Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will one test at one year suffice?
Jul 20, 2006

People on here are always talking about their "Panic-style" method of HIV testing. As many as five before the 3 month or 6 month mark. Thus, when you respond to them, you usually give them to whoo-hoo on the many negative results they get. This may be a silly question, and I must say I can be as anxious, if not more so than some of these people on here, BUT....Is getting one negative test result at say 10 to 12 months after the last possible exposure the same as getting five negative results say, by 6 months? My story, I had unprotected insertive anal sex with a male of unknown status 3 years ago. 2 years ago I had protected insertive anal sex with a male who I recently learned was HIV+. That was 2 years ago....2 years since my last high risk exposure. Then one year ago I had protected sex with a friend of mine (female).

Two weeks ago I was tested for the first time and tested negative.

Any cause for panic/alarm? Is there a point in me getting another test?

Thanks a mil - will donate

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yes, absofrickinlutely! One negative test at 10 to 12 months is just as definitive as tests at three or six months. Any antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive. They can be considered encouraging, but a negative test doesn't really "count" until at least three months!

Any cause for panic/alarm? Nope!

Any point in retesting? Nope!

The only comment I would make is that you waited quite awhile for your first test! Your unprotected insertive anal encounter was your only real risk exposure, assuming that latex condoms were used properly and didn't fail for your other two sexcapades.

Bottom line: always use protection and safer sexual techniques. If you have an unavoidable potential exposure, get tested at the three-month mark.

You're welcome a mil!

Thanks for your donation! (www.concertedeffort.org)

Stay safe. Stay well. And I almost forgot: WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Are you sure?
Next
mag Couple from New England with a second opinion question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.