Not in the archives - HIV through sunburnt skin?

Hi Dr Bob,

About 4 months ago I had sex with a "high risk" south american girl. Both oral and vaginal sex, and both protected with a good latex condom. The condom did not break or slip off. It was on all the way. After we finished I pulled out of her and we laid on the bed cuddling for a 5-10 minutes. The used condom was still on my limp Willie resting on my upper thigh. What makes me extra worried is that earlier that day I had been out in the sun, and my body was sunburnt red. Assuming the girl was hiv+, Is there any risk for hiv infection from her vaginal fluids on the outside of the condom in through the sunburnt skin on my leg? A couple of weeks after this encounter I went and tested for all std's except hiv (not hiv since it was so close to the exposure). Doo you feel that I need to go and have a hiv test done too?

A month after this exposure I had a brief period, a few days, with swollen lymph nodes in my neck and itchy eyes. But I'm guessing this could have been due to pollen allergy as it was just at the beginning of the pollen season. No other symptoms that I know of.

Please please advise what my risk is. I just got a new girlfriend and I'm worried sick that I might have contracted something that I can pass on to her...

Thanks, and a donation is on its way to your fantastic organization!

Hello Sunburned Guy,

Your HIV risk, even with your sunburn, is nonexistent. You used a latex condom properly and it did not fail. HIV cannot permeate intact latex or intact skin, even sunburned intact skin. No way. No how.

HIV testing is not medically necessary; however, if you are worried, the option to get a definitive HIV test at the three-month mark is certainly open to you. Personally I don't feel it's warranted.

Thank you for your willingness to make a tax-deductible contribution to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Your one gift will touch many lives.

Stay safe. Stay well. Don't forget to wear sun block!

HOPE TO GET WHOO HOO
saliva q