Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Not in the archives - HIV through sunburnt skin?
Jul 18, 2006

Hi Dr Bob,

About 4 months ago I had sex with a "high risk" south american girl. Both oral and vaginal sex, and both protected with a good latex condom. The condom did not break or slip off. It was on all the way. After we finished I pulled out of her and we laid on the bed cuddling for a 5-10 minutes. The used condom was still on my limp Willie resting on my upper thigh. What makes me extra worried is that earlier that day I had been out in the sun, and my body was sunburnt red. Assuming the girl was hiv+, Is there any risk for hiv infection from her vaginal fluids on the outside of the condom in through the sunburnt skin on my leg? A couple of weeks after this encounter I went and tested for all std's except hiv (not hiv since it was so close to the exposure). Doo you feel that I need to go and have a hiv test done too?

A month after this exposure I had a brief period, a few days, with swollen lymph nodes in my neck and itchy eyes. But I'm guessing this could have been due to pollen allergy as it was just at the beginning of the pollen season. No other symptoms that I know of.

Please please advise what my risk is. I just got a new girlfriend and I'm worried sick that I might have contracted something that I can pass on to her...

Thanks, and a donation is on its way to your fantastic organization!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sunburned Guy,

Your HIV risk, even with your sunburn, is nonexistent. You used a latex condom properly and it did not fail. HIV cannot permeate intact latex or intact skin, even sunburned intact skin. No way. No how.

HIV testing is not medically necessary; however, if you are worried, the option to get a definitive HIV test at the three-month mark is certainly open to you. Personally I don't feel it's warranted.

Thank you for your willingness to make a tax-deductible contribution to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Your one gift will touch many lives.

Stay safe. Stay well. Don't forget to wear sun block!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HOPE TO GET WHOO HOO
Next
saliva q

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.