The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

kissing with cuts in mouth

Jul 18, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob- First off thanks for the tremendous work you do at answering all of our questions as well as for your AIDS Foundation. I just donated as a way to say "thanks". My question for you is whether you feel a HIV test would be warranted in my case... I engaged in deep kissing with a man recently after eating lunch with him. I ate a lot of chips and salsa and noticed that I had many cuts in my mouth from the chips (Hence I'm sure he did too). I am concerned that we may have both had bleeding cuts in our mouths from the chips and from brushing teeth beforehand. Is this enough risk to warrant a HIV test? I am very worried that I have put myself and girlfriend at risk. thanks again.

Response from Dr. Frascino


First off I should mention when it comes to HIV there really is no debate on the subject of the safety of kissing, except maybe on the Internet, which doesn't count! Kissing does not transmit HIV! Yes, the CDC did report on a single case of extraordinary circumstances involving two people with extensive gum disease and profusely bleeding gums, but that's a far cry form any damage that world be done eating chips and salsa! I see no cause for concern. As the song goes, "A kiss is just a kiss even after eating chips as time goes by . . . ."

Thanks for your donation. (

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Did this Balloon Burst my Sanity
Dr. Bob, do I have a snow ball chance in hell?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint