Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AMAZING QUESTION!!!!
Jul 18, 2006

Hey! I'm just wondering..you know how HIV does not survive for long once in the outside world...does that hold true for this situation...say there is some 30 minute old blood on a spoon which is used bu drug addicts to cook drugs in, and a drug addict used that spoon to cook some drugs in, and then shoot them up into his vein...would that blood be considered uninfected by the HIV virus??/

Thank you Dr.Bob..

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Well this is far from an "amazing question," but since you've been so diligent and persistent in reposting this concern over and over and over again for quite some time, I've decided to answer!

HIV would not survive 30 minutes on a drug spoon that is then used to "cook some drugs." The virus is too fragile to survive that. However, as always, if you're worried, a simple HIV rapid test three months or more after this cooking episode will give you a definitive result, OK?

I'm fairly certain you told me before you've cleaned up your act and are no longer shooting up. If that's not the case, I strongly advise you do so immediately.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Whoo-Hoo at 12 months? "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum."
Next
ANSWER THIS NOW!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.