Honesty???

Dr. Bob,

I do have a little beef with you that maybe you can put to rest. We all know and understand the most common symptoms of HIV infection. It is no big secret. I am not at all saying that people with symptoms are infected, but come on, to not have even one out of the thousands of posts you responded to? Do you just not reply to the ones you feel are infected and also the ones that wrote back to tell you your 3 or 6 month advise was wrong and ended up positive. Don't do us any favors being nice and trying to calm us down. You say you are an honest guy, so start being more forthright with some of us. If you think someone needs testing out to 3-6 months or 1-2 years, then tell them instead of giving people this false sense of security and letting their guard down and infecting someone else. Sure we all know you are not our Dr., but guess what, some people out out there have no Dr. to see and you are the next best thing to them. I understand this is not your problem but to act as their Dr. saying no more testing without considering the clinical profile is very unprofessional, reckless and dangerous! I want to start seeing the ones who I know have wrote back to you positive that you won't post because your 3-6 month conclusive window will shatter in all of our faces. Atleast then we will know what we should be doing for the good of our own health and the health of others we come in contact with by knowing that people can and do take a long time to show pos. on a test. The CDC I believe puts in place this 3-6 month window knowing full well it will not cover alot of people, but to keep the majority calm they say 3-6 months. But the twist is that if clinical symptoms are evident testing to infinity is recommended. The CDC is a government organization and is always under political pressure. The CDC cannot say we do not have a handle on HIV seroconversion because that would be unacceptable to the public, so they take care of the majority and say up yours to the minority. Bottom line is that the window is not as accurate as you and many others claim it is. You say to research the archives to see all the people with symptoms that are conclusively Neg. I say you research the archives and see all the Neg. not turned pos. YET! Explain this one clear fact for us. How can you explain so so many people posting their stories that are so identical, such as timing of symptoms from a sexual exposure and how most of these symptoms line up clearly with others, and there not be something going on here. If you have scientific facts regarding late seroconversion then post them instead of hiding it from us just to keep us all calm. Hey look at it this way, atleast you won't have to answer the same post over and over. We'll all know that it just may take a little longer to show. Honesty! Try it, no matter how brutal! Atleast we would be getting the truth! While I look forward to your response, I'll take satisfaction in KNOWING you will have read this without a response. I look forward to your replies to all the others looking for an honest answer. I'll be watching!

Take Care!

You want me to put your "little beef" to rest? OK.

1. Do I not reply to questioners who I feel may be infected? Don't be ridiculous! Of course I would reply to those folks. In fact, they have priority over the never-ending stripper/lap dance/massage/hand job/kissing/mosquito/toilet seat folks. Rather than just criticize the archives, I suggest you actually read them!

2. I am an "honest guy." As you may or may not know (or care), I am HIV positive. What possible rationale would I have for not speaking the truth about this plague? If you doubt my veracity or integrity, I suggest you go elsewhere for your HIV advice. I'm sure you can find some whack-job out there who believes, as you do, that "if clinical symptoms are evident then testing to infinity is recommended!" however, this is neither scientifically justified nor recommended by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

3. If you feel my advice is "unprofessional, reckless and dangerous", you are welcome to your opinion; however, your opinion does not change scientific fact and 25 years of personal experience battling the HIV/AIDS pandemic.

4. The CDC is covering up facts to "keep the majority calm." CDC stands for Centers for Disease Control, not Center for Deceiving the Country! Get a grip! No one is hiding information about the extremely rare phenomenon of late seroconversion, anymore than they are hiding information about the extremely rare phenomenon of fatal attacks by Tasmanian Devils.

5. Finally, please note the expert forum on safer sex and HIV prevention, by its very nature, deals with folks who are HIV negative. If you want to read about HIV-positive folks, you have to tune into any of the other expert forums on the site. Once someone tests positive, they usually do not write back to an HIV prevention forum!

6. Finally, sir, from your comments, it is obvious you suffer from extreme and irrational fears of being HIV positive. Anxiety is a very real medical condition and amenable to treatment. I would strongly suggest you seek psychological or psychiatric help rather than continue to foster outlandish conspiracy theories. Going through life convinced that if you sneeze, there can be no other conceivable explanation other than HIV acute retroviral syndrome must be a very uncomfortable way to live.

anxiety ate the title
Whoo-Hoo at 12 months? "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum."