Very Worried 19month after

Dear Dr. Bob, It has been 19 months post exposure. I had posted my questions many times then(march 05), but did not get an answer. I still have loose stools, have a low grade fever for the past 16 days, tender nodes in my armpit, groin and neck. Also have developed rhinitis. Please see my original question I had posted in March 05 below. I haven't felt the same since.

FYI..I tested negative at 14 months post exposure(ELISA). Could I be one of those who does not produce antibodies? --------------------

I had asked the following question back in March 05

Let me describe my situation.

I had protected(or so I thought) sex with a streetwalker 3 weeks ago. When I removed the condom, I noticed that there were blood spots along the rim of the condom. This definitely would have come in contact with my penis when I had removed the condom. I just freaked out and didn't know what to do.

On dec 16th, I startd feeling tightness around my neck and along the jaw line. There was also this weird feeling of pressure in my ears. My ears also had the 'airplane ears' feeling and was constantly crackling.

Then on Dec 31st, The node under my left arm pit started being tender and a little painfull. The area between the nipple and the armpit was also paifull(like a blocked lymph duct or something).

On Jan 2nd, the area around my right breast became sore just like the same feeling on my left side. There was no pain under the right armpit though. On the same day, I started feeling twinges in my groins. I couldn't feel anything swollen, by there was definitely discomfort on both sides.

All this while, the ear crakling and the swollen feeling at the juncture of my neck,ears and jawline was still persistent.

5th Jan to Jan 6th - Slight loose motion. Nothing bad.

Jan 6th(about 4 weeks after exposure) - Developbed body pains in my neck and shoulder.

Jan 7th - Started feeling very tired. Developed low grade fever(about 99F)

The tender paifull feeling on the outer side of the nipples were gone by now. the ear crakling and the swollen feeling at the juncture of my neck,ears and jawline was still present.

Jan 10th - Decided to get the DNA PCR test done. Went to the lab and had my blood drawn. It was 31 days after exposure.

The fever lasted about 6 to 7 days on and off. I was taking tylenol constantly and this helped.

I was so tired on Jan 10th, 11th and 12th. Also had a feeling of nausea even though I did not vomit.

Jan 12th - Noticed a slightly raised 'quarter sized' red rash irregularly shaped on my left upper arm. This disappeared in two days.

Jan 13th - Tingling warm needles feeling in my left palm, fingers and left foot.

Jan 14th - Results of the DNA PCR came back negative.

Jan 18 - Tested negative at 41 days on the EIA test.

Now - STill terrified due to all the above symptoms eventhough the only symptoms that I seem to have now is the swollen feeling at the juncture of my neck,ears and jawline and the tingling, numb feeling that seems to have started fainlty with my right limbs also.

What do you think? WHat are my chances of me being OK? I take a lot of multivitamins(Selenium,VitE,VitC and a host of others). Would this cause a negative read on the tests?

God bless all of you for your courage and willingness to inform an help others. ---------------------------- Tony.

Hello Tony,

You are HIV negative.

A negative HIV test trumps all symptoms each and every time. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV infection. I cannot determine the cause of your symptoms over the Internet; however, I can tell you with absolute certainty what's not causing them: it's not HIV. No way. No how!

Regarding the streetwalker's blood, please note that even if she were HIV positive (a big "if," I might add), HIV cannot permeate intact skin. Tainted blood would have to have been in contact with the mucous membranes of your urethra (pee hole) to be considered a risk.

Considering your potential exposure, "symptoms" and HIV test results, what do I think your chances are of being HIV positive? Absolutely zero!

Would multivits affect HIV test results? Nope!

Tony, your fears are completely unwarranted. I didn't respond previously because I hoped you would realize this fact yourself by reviewing the multitude of similar stories posted in the archives. Have a look. You should find these testimonials encouraging. If you continue to worry, I would suggest you seek psychological counseling to help you confront your unwarranted fears and accept the marvelous news that you are HIV negative.

Good luck. Stay well.

OK...I'm a total screwup
Fifth Post:Final Year Med Student with Paralysing Fears?Can I get a Woo HOOooo?