Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OK...I'm a total screwup
Jul 14, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob:

So, I am a total screw-up. About 9 months ago, I hooked up with a guy at a club. Went back to his place and he performed some, if I may so, amazing oral sex on me. Afterwards, we hung out, I left, and we spoke again, but as is usually the case, it didn't go anywhere. Then, about ten days later I developed this pimple in my pubic region, very red, last about 3 days and went away. I didn't think much of it at the time. Then about 5 days after that (approx. 2 weeks) my legs got really itchy and it lasted for about two days. About one month after that, I noticed a few "pimples" on my bum. So, in a slight panic (never really having pimples on my bum before) I went to a dermatologist and he said I had folliculitis. I've been dealing with it off and an now for the past 9 months. So, I did what every stupid American does and went to the internet and now I am very nervous because I've read that folliculitis may be sign of HIV, etc. My questions are this. First, is folliculitis something you would develop as part of ARS? And, second, if not, is this indicative of HIV? I should add, that I had an HIV test prior to this "activity" and was negative. Since this occurred I have not had any form of sex with anyone because of my concerns. Thank you for your help. I will be making a donation to your service.

Signing off... Sexually frustrated and scared.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello S-S-S (Sexually-frustrated, Scared Screw-up),

First the facts:

1. Oral sex "amazing" or otherwise carries only a minimal risk for HIV transmission.

2. The pimply symptoms you describe are neither suggestive of nor worrisome for HIV ARS or HIV disease.

The advice I offer you and everyone else, who feels they've been screwed up, screwed down or screwed half way to heaven and back again is very simple and straightforward. If you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, get tested at the three-month mark. A rapid test will give you a definitive answer in as little as 20 minutes!

Now doesn't that make a hell of a lot better sense than being perpetually "sexually frustrated and scared???"

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Giant Members
Next
Very Worried 19month after

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.