Ejaculated after condom broke.

On the 27th of June my active and HIV + bf fucked me. He almost always cums inside me with a condom on, but on this day the condom broke. We didn't realise and he came inside me.

I didn't freak out (probably shock) and had the cum in me for a good hour. Our doctor told us if this ever happened there is treatment to help prevent me becoming positive.

On the same day (about an our after he came inside me) I started drinking Combivir. I have to take it twice daily for a month and missed it once and a few times drank it 2 or 3 hours after the time I should have. I am now starting to freak out.

Can you put it to me straight?

Many thanks for your great work! Much appreciated.

I'm not exactly sure what information you are looking for, so I'll just summarize the situation.

1. Your risk (broken condom with ejaculation with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive) places your estimated risk for acquisition of HIV on the same level as "unprotected sex" with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive. That risk for unprotected receptive anal sex is estimated to be 50 per 10,000 exposures.

2. The treatment your doctor mentioned is Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP). The Combivir you are taking is one of several PEP options. PEP is the use of antiretroviral drugs (AIDS medications) to help prevent HIV transmission from occurring after there has been a significant exposure. It should be started as soon as possible after the exposure and no later than 72 hours. The sooner it is started, the better are the chances it will work. For additional information about PEP, check the archives. I also suggest you read through the archival information pertaining to magnetic couples (one positive, one negative.)

I see no reason for you to freak out now. You did the correct thing by contacting your doctor and beginning PEP (Combivir) shortly after the exposure. You'll need to complete a full 28-day course of PEP and have follow-up HIV tests at 4-6 weeks, three months and six months after exposure. Your exposure was significant; however, the odds you did not contract HIV are still very much on your side, OK?

I'll send my best good-luck karma that your tests remain negative.

Terrified
have i got a seriouse std