Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow up Question from April 19, 2006 who promised $1000 donation for answer of s/co ratio of 0.2.
Jul 9, 2006

I am currently in process to earn $1000 for donation I promised on April 19, 2006. Soon you will receive the money order for donation.

I was releived of some pressure after reading your responses to my questions.

but still had my doubts. because at city clinic they gave ME THE first shot for Hep. B. Ever since the shot I have headaches, neck pain, knee pain, leg muscle pains. ONE MONTH AFTER I TOOK THE SHOT, I went back to my doctor and had following tests done 1.liver function test, 2.HBeAg(Hep B e-antigen) 3.HBeAb(Hep B e-antibody) 4.HBV DNA Ultraqualtitative test By National Genetic Institute in California with sensetivity of 1-2 copies/ml. 5. HCV DNA Ultraqualtitative test By National Genetic Institute in California with sensetivity of 5-6 copies/ml. 6. HIV ANTIBIODIES 7. CBC with platet count.

everything came back normal. liver function was normal with alt value of 37. 8 point drop since last time. CBC is fine with white cell count of 6.0 thous/mcl but hemoglobin is 12.5 g/dl (reference range of 13.2-17.1), hematocrit 38.5 (reference range of (38.5-50.0) and MCH 26.5 (reference range of 27-33). it has a comment : slight hypochromasia, platelets (347 thous/mcl with reference range of 140-400) appear adequate.

My question is that Am I negative for HIV, Hep B and Hep C. I know after 6 months to one year of Elisa HIV test is good. and same for Hep B. but how about Hep C. I may be dependable on HCV RNA test after each six months because I might be immunocompromised. My symptoms prompts me to say all this bull. Stomach aches, neck pain, headaches, knee pain, muscle ache espeacily in legs , stomach growling, on and off diarrhea and constipation, feeling very hot most of the time, huge node at back of my neck and in armpits

Since you are an immunologist, can you tell me am I able to find if I am immunocompomised or not by doing the quantitaion of immunoglobulin levels, immunofixation, serum and protein electrophrosis tests?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

To answer your direct question, yes, you are negative for HIV, hep B and hep C, based on the results of the laboratory studies.

Yes, I'm an immunologist and I see absolutely no indication from your history, "symptoms" or laboratory studies that would even suggest the remote possibility that you are immunocompromised. Running quantitative immunoglobulins, immunofixation, serum and protein electrophoresis and any of a million other immunological studies is not warranted. In fact, it would be a total waste of your time, money and blood.

There is a very good chance some or all of your symptoms are related to anxiety and irrational fear. I suggest you evaluate this possibility rather than chase esoteric unwarranted immunologic tests.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Wrote Once Before...Simplifying This Time.
Next
Test results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.