KS and Thrush

Dr Bob

I am going out of my mind with worry. I have found some comfort in these forums which I have been browsing for a while however I am now starting to panic. I am aware of the over reactions a person can have when trying to self diagnose and have tried my best not to waste your time. My situation is this. I have just recently (7 mths) been seeing a girl who I like a lot. A couple of months ago I got what I know is thrush on my penis ( i have had this before and cream clearde it up) I searched the web on thrush and discovered that this can be a symptom of HIV. Since then I have been in the middlle of self diagnoses nightmare. I have also just recently devoloped 10 red spots / lesions on my trunk. These are very small 1 - 2 mm. KS? I feel healthy and my girlfriend has shown no symptoms up to now and she is a regular visitor to the doctor as she is currently getting b12 injections. My exposure risk was 4 years ago (unprotected vaginal sex with unknow status female)and I dont remember being ill straight after that. I have had Swollen lymph nodes under my chin which usually come up very quickly 1 - 2 days and then are gone within two weeks, this has happened maybe 6 times in 4 years. I have not lost weight, no Diarahea and I have not needed to see a doctor for years. I dont remember geting any fevers ( occasional hot flush for a minute or two) Would I have been ill by now if these symptoms that are present were as a result of HIV. My concern is now for my Girlfriend as I could handle what I have done to myself but not what I may have done to her. Please help to calm my mind. I will go for an HIV test as soon as I can get my head round it but I need a bit of comfort befoe i go. I will send donation if you let me know where to send it to in recognition of the good work you do

Cheers Dr Bob Stay well

You are going out of your mind with worry, because you are in the "middlle" of self diagnosis and you think you have Kaposi sarcoma due to the 10 red spots on your trunk??? Dude, no wonder you are racked with such anxiety, worry and despair. As it turns out, you have a complete idiot for a doctor! Now maybe I missed something here, but exactly which medical school, internship, residency and fellowship programs did you graduate from that would qualify you to make a diagnosis of sarcoma??? The only thing you need to "get your head round" is your own head! That's the problem.

Stick to the facts and follow the only logical next step.

Fact: You had unprotected nookie four years ago. Consequently, symptoms or not, you need to get tested.

Fact: Your symptoms are not consistent with or suggestive of HIV or KS.

Fact: Your fears are irrational and way out of proportion to any true risk.

Fact: The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, because we do not know the HIV status of your naughty lady on shady lane.

The only logical next step: Turn off the computer and go get tested. A rapid test will provide a definitive answer in as little as 20 minutes. Surely you can you get your head around that!?!

Donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be sent to our office at:

1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

We also accept credit cards, PayPal, etc. Donation information is available on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Thanks for your tax-deductible gift. In return, I'll send my best good-luck karma that your test will be negative. (I very strongly expect it will indeed be negative.)

Manbag, pocket, wallet anywhere as long as you wear one!!!!
Greek Thank-You