Oral White Streaks - Scared Dad - Woohoo???

Doctor Frascino,

Well, today is July 7th, exactly 91 days after my deep kissing encounter with an Asian bar girl. I just had an Oraquick fingerprick blood test done and it came back negative, and needless to say, I am very relieved.

I still have the persistent oral white streaks on my inner cheeks. I talked to an out-of-town dentist friend of mine over the phone a few weeks ago and when I described everything to him, he said it didn't sound like oral thrush but rather, a condition called oral lichen planus, which he said is one of those conditions which often has no known causes.

I did a little research on the internet, and was surprised to find that many high blood pressure patients who have taken the beta-blocker Inderal have complained of oral lichen planus and angular cheilitis, which is another condition I had experienced. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure earlier this year and was taking prescription Inderal during the months of March and April. I took a relatively small dose, one 20mg tablet per day. Perhaps this is the real culprit and not HIV? Have you heard of anything like this before?

Anyways, I'm hoping I can truly woo-hoo as far as my HIV fears are concerned. As for the weird white stuff in my mouth, do you recommend that I see an ear, nose, throat specialist, or should I see a dentist? What type of health professional do you think would be most qualified to assess my condition?

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the help and comfort you and your forum have given me during my harrowing window period. A donation is definitely on the way (most likely money order via mail). Thank you so much and I honestly do remember you in my prayers every day, for you yourself and for the work that you do. You are a tremendously positive, courageously selfless, and inspirational individual, just what a world like ours needs more of. Thank you!!!

Scared (was scared) Dad

Hello "Was Scared" Dad,

Congratulations and WOO-HOO! on your negative definitive 91-day test! What wonderful news! There is now absolutely no doubt that HIV is not the culprit for your symptoms!

I cannot diagnose the cause of your "white streaks" over the Internet. Certainly oral lichen planus is a possibility. Either a good dentist or ENT specialist should be able to help diagnose and treat this type of common problem. It certainly does not sound at all worrisome!

Thanks for your thanks and your donation.

Stay well, "Fearless Dad!"

effective OCD treatment
Risk analysis. Please help (will donate)