Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

third time posting, no answer
Jul 7, 2006

Man your the best, you give the best advice in a manner that makes people feel confortable, any way this is the third time Ive posted and you havent replyied, I know your a busy guy but after hours of searching the NET I need your sound advice. I had a possible high risk encounter with, yeh my cheating wife, well after she confessed to having many pertners while I was away, I started thinking that she could have gave me HIV, well about 1-4 weeks after the sex (see we had sex for a month before she told me so I cant pin point if and when I was infected if I was at all)I came down with a bad sore throat that is lasting going on 7 days now with swollen glands in neck that a sore to touch sometimes and a bad dry cough mostly at night, I have had two night that I woke up soaked in sweat. with the sore throat nothing helps it spray, sore throat drops nothing, but with the strees of a divorce and children involved I have been smoking heavly. You are what seams like an outstanding person and I love your responses, but could you please give me your advice if you think this could be ARS or HIV symptoms. Last question do you think I should run down and get tested or wait some time out if I can. Hey your the man!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

A cheatin' wife, many "pertners," a divorce, kids, a persistent illness, smokin' "heavly" . . . . Damn, this is beginning to sound like a country western song.

Although I'm not concerned about your symptoms from an HIV perspective, if you are worried that having unprotected sex with your soon-to-be ex could have given you HIV, you'll need to get tested three months (or more) from the last potential exposure. It's the only way to ascertain one way or the other if you've acquired the virus. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is or is not infected. The odds you are HIV negative are all in your favor. Do wait at least three months for your HIV test, because tests taken prior to that are not considered definitive or conclusive.

You do have one health risk that I must caution you about smoking. Stop immediately or it will kill you, without a doubt.

While you are waiting for that definitive three-month test, maybe you can finish turning your story into a hit country western song.

Here are some of my favorite c.w. song titles:

1. Get You Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye

2. I'd Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Frontal Lobotomy

3. If I Can't Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number Two On You

4. Mama Get The Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)

5. My John Deere Was Breaking Your Field, While Your Dear John Was Breaking My Heart

6. She Got The Ring And I Got The Finger

7. You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too

8. She's Out Doing What I'm Here Doing Without

9. I Want Lipstick On My Dipstick

10. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him

Good luck Cowboy,

Dr. Bob

Previous
Family is afraid of Spouse's HIV + status
Next
needles sharing HIV stats.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.