one more time...please, have donated

Hi Dr. Bob,

Your work is great and I will continue to donate to your outstanding and worthy cause.

Can you please help me once again. I had sex w/ a professional in China and after the condom sat on the floor for 1-3 nimutes I put it back on, probably vaginal fluid on the inside and had a small cut on my willy from her fingernail when she removed the said condom. Anyway, you said my risk was neg to non ex and I have been tested negative after 8, 10, 12, 15 weeks post exposure. I have also been tested for all other STD's and they were (-). I have however over the 8 - 15 week period experienced a mild case of folliculitis on the thighs and hip.(antibacterial soap and hibiclens has stopped this). More recently(week 13) had a rash behind my ears (treated w/ hydrocortisone succesfully after 3 days), (week 14 to present) I have had mild persistent headaches. And now I have this strange white bump at the end of a 4mm red string under my tongue which is slightly sensative - I though about cutting it but that could be a blood bath so I will see how it progresses.

So...since I was in China is it possible I could have a subtype that was missed by my 20min modern tests? Are these symptoms to be concerned of relating to HIV? Or can these things have been brought on by heavy antibiotic use (Z-max 3 times & tequin for Ghn &Chlym) and/or stress and smoking 1/2 pack a day (not the norm for me but I'm stressed out).

I am really struggling b/c I am xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Can you shed some light. Should I have PCR testing or further antibody testing or is my 15 week conclusive?

Please answer if you can I know you are busy but I could really use your perspective on this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

CS

The condom sat on the floor for 1-3 "nimutes?" OK, Whatever!

So you've had repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 15 weeks and have been "tested for all other STDs and they were negative." This is all excellent news. So, you should be WOO-HOO-ing and enjoying the 4th of July celebrations without worry, right??? But no, instead you're concerned about "a mild case of folliculitis on the thighs and hip," which cleared up quickly with antibacterial soap; a rash behind you ears, which cleared with hydrocortisone; mild persistent headaches and a "strange white bump at the end of a 4 mm red string under (your) tongue which is slightly sensitive." Dude, these are all trivial symptoms and certainly in no way linked to HIV. You are being hypervigilant about your health because you are irrationally fearful of HIV. HIV anxiety is your only real medical issue at the moment.

I sincerely hope you do not self-surgerize your tongue bump! OUCHAMAGOUCHA! Are you nuts?

To specifically address your concerns:

1. Subtypes missed by rapid test because you were cheatin' in China? Nope!

2. Symptoms suggestive of HIV? Nope!

3. Symptoms brought on by other stuff (stress, meds, smoking)? Yes, that is possible.

4. Should you have PCR? Nope!

5. Should you have further antibody tests? Nope!

There is no doubt your biggest problem is irrational fear of HIV compounded by your guilt over this whole affair. Per your request I did delete the information in your question. But really, guy, do you think there is any way in hell that someone could recognize you from such a vague reference as marital status and number of children? This, too, shows your level of psychological stress.

My advice is:

1. Level with your wife. Not only is it the best way for you to confront your guilt, it's also the right thing to do.

2. Get counseling for your irrational HIV fears so that you'll be able to accept the wonderful and incontrovertible fact that you are HIV negative.

3. Stop smoking! If you don't, it will kill you.

See ya in your tighty whities!
Probably another question that will never die but...