Opinion

Hey Dr. Bob, just wanted to say thanks for answering so many questions for all us ww's and virally enhanced. While I really think you're doing a great service for all of us, I have to take a stand against your consistent bashing of Christians or anyone who may identify themselves as subscribing to a certain faith. While it is certainly true that Bush and his buddies do not exhibit very Christian values with their policies and, hence, will be served a healthy serving of justice in this life or the next, I really take offense whenever you mention right-wing Christians as being the driving force behind the growing AIDS epidemic. I'm so sick and tired of "liberals" talking smack about anything that's not liberal. I, myself, am a gay Christian and, yes, consider myself liberal in regards to most issues, but I've become rather disillusioned with so-called "liberals" who have this idea that anybody that doesn't support their political party or is religious is evil, dumb, and ignorant. I know plenty of liberals who are awful beings just like I know many conservatives who are not the greatest people either. While I agree more with Democratic stances on most issues, I hate when people automatically try and associate religion with conservative attitudes. I know plenty of Christians who are liberal in most respects, vote Democratic, etc. but hold "conservative" attitudes (believe sex shouldn't be something that is taken lightly, etc.) Being conservative in some respects is not bad, despite what many self-righteous liberals would have us believe. Also, I'm so sick of "liberals" rolling their eyes everytime you tell them you're Christian. Again, I feel as though these are just another sect of hypocrites...people who supposedly care about tolerating others but really don't know what the hell that actually means. Really, hypocrites know no boundaries and fill every political party. I know. Dr. Bob, that when you reference people in certain groups who are pissing you off, you only mean SOME of them. But you should understand that not every Christian is a deluded, toxic hypocrite. Many are far better people than the assholes who consistently make fun of them. These maggots, just like Bush and his cronies, will also get their just desserts at some point or another. No particular group of people is faultless and I wouldn't place all of the blame on a few shoulders. Everytime we take a vacation, we are complicit in spreading the HIV epidemic bc with that time and money, we could be raising awareness and money for people living with HIV.

You're a gay Christian liberal who is disillusioned with "liberals???" Hmmm . . . sounds a bit schizophrenic to me, but OK, if you say so.

Of course you are correct! I should not (and really don't mean to) generalize and group all Christians in with the extra-chromosome wing-nut religious zealots who are presently ruining this country. My comments are directed at fundamentalists who believe they have the right or even the duty to rule over nonbelievers. We must all remember we are a secular republic and not, as many would like us to believe, a Christian nation! We shouldn't be satisfied with religious tolerance, as that implies one superior group putting up with a minority's views. Rather, we must cherish the existence of religious "liberty!" That means we all get to believe (or not believe) equally.

I worry when faith, rather than reason, is heralded and the values of the Enlightenment are threatened by a mystical nationalism claiming divine sanction. These irrational forces are striving to remake America. There is no doubt that the evangelical culture is buoyed primarily by partisan hypocritical Republicans.

Bringing this topic back to HIV/AIDS, take the example of Franklin Graham, son of Billy, who has received a ton of money form Bush's faith-based programs to combat HIV/AIDS. Graham's charity, "Samaritan's Purse" absolutely refuses to distribute condoms! This is insanity. These programs are more intent on saving souls than saving lives. They should not be funded with my taxpayer dollars.

Let me recommend to you a book entitled "Kingdom Coming. The Rise of Christian Nationalism" by Michelle Goldberg. I think you'll find it "enlightening" and perhaps a bit terrifying. It's a must read.

risk, second post- no ans find in my country
Donations - Privacy