Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

TERRIFIED Down Under
Jul 3, 2006

Hi Doc, Have read many of your threads and much of your advice has calmed me down somewhat but not completely.I stupidly had unprotected oral with a sex worker 10 weeks ago and since then have experienced a raft of symptoms. 4 days after the event I developed sore throat and infected tonsils. Tested +ve for strep c and doctor sent me away with some penicillin. This did the trick after 10 days but it then returned. Another 10 days of penicillin and it was gone. Then developed strange numbness / buzzing in my fingers of left hand which is still present and is now in both hands. have also developed strange itching on chest which feels like an itchy rash but does not actually develop into a rash. eyesight has also noticeably diminished over this period. I received -ve hiv result after 60 days but am still beside myself with fear over this. I have spoken to my wife and am also concerned that I may have infected her early on when I never even considered this a possibility. I know the odds from oral sex ( male to female ) are low but I cannot rid myself of these symptoms. Is it possible to get a strep infection and hiv at same time?? and if so does a strep infection increase the odds ?? Do anti biotics have any effect on development of hiv antibodies ? Do symptoms mean antibodies are present or do these develop later. I know I need to wait for another month but how confident should I be with the 60 day result. Thanks and a donation to follow from Aus....

Response from Dr. Frascino

G'day Aussie,

What are you being such a nervous Nellie about??? If you've read the archives, you should be cool, calm and reassured, not going round the bend as if you had a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock! Your HIV risk is negligible to nonexistent!

To specifically address your questions:

1. Can you get strep and HIV at the same time? Well, I suppose that's possible, but certainly not all that likely.

2. Does a strep infection contracted at the same time increase HIV odds? No.

3. No, antibiotics do not affect anti-HIV antibody production.

4. Symptoms don't mean anything! They are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV infection.

5. A negative HIV-antibody test at day 60 is extremely encouraging. A negative test at the three-month mark will be definitive.

Now stop worrying. At the moment, you're at more risk of being done in by a funnel web spider than HIV.

Thanks for your donation. Can you send some vegemite too? (Kidding!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
responce to "what a waste" opinion -
Next
Acute HIV, Diahrre & Medication; Medical reasons for early testing?; Acute HIV treatment??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.