Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I've never voted for Bush, can you answer my question? :)
Jul 2, 2006

You know Bob, I work for a newspaper and I'm the only Bush hater. Well George Bush that is, so hopefully that will get me some karma and street credit here. Can you hook me up with an answer that will help me sleep better at night. Heterosexual sex with girl of unknown status (19). She said she was ok but that means 0. I don't believe her to be a drug user of any kind. Anyway, I tried to do the right thing, I used a condom. It held in tact for 15-20 minutes. Then It broke and I pulled out and stopped. I would say under 10 seconds tops. Went to the bathroom and to our surprise she was on her period. I was like, how do I end up in these spots. Took a leak, took a shower and tried not to freak out. I did some research on here and found condom breaks to be on the low risk side. Have you heard of many cases where the insertive person contracted HIV with a condom break? Are the odds in my favor and please don't scare me, I'm just now starting to feel like I might be OK. lol I plan on testing at 6 weeks then at 12. I feel kind of ripped off because I honestly try to do the right thing and this happens. I would asume that protection through most of the act is better than no protection.

On a good note. I think this is the Republicans last stand in office for a while. I'm expecting a Democractic blowout during the next elections.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Condom failure would place your risk in the same range as unprotected insertive vaginal sex. That estimated per-episode risk, when the partner is confirmed to be HIV positive, is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less because your exposure was so brief and we do not know the status of your partner. That menstrual blood was present could increase estimated risk somewhat. However, all things considered, your overall risk remains quite low.

I would recommend a single HIV test at the three-month mark, as tests taken prior to this are not considered definitive.

As for Dubya and his corrupt cronies, I'm counting on you to make sure your newspaper publishes the truth and not Bush's completely fabricated view of reality, OK? Rightwing extra-chromosome wing-nuts control most of the printed material and TV/radio airways. And those that they don't control, like the New York Times, they try to demonize as unpatriotic. It's time to sweep these numbnuts out of office before they do anymore damage.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Broke 25 year Celibacy
Next
his tongue got hurt

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.