Woo-Hoo!!!!

I just wanted to share my experience with you. I understand that you're overwhelmed with questions, but this site has proved a valuable tool for me and I would like to share my gratitude along with my personal story.

I am a young male and about 6 months ago I had my first sexual experience with a woman I met at a bar and did not know. We had unprotected vaginal sex, and I performed unprotected oral sex on her. I was very drunk and as a result never ejaculated. The next morning I was excited about my "triumph" so to speak and figured that since I didn't ejaculate I was safe from catching anything. I called a friend and told him about what happened and he informed me that I was indeed not safe. That spooked the hell out of me.

A month after my exposure, I got up the courage to get screened for chlamydia and gonorrhea. While I was at the clinic I asked the doctor if I should even bother getting tested for HIV, considering it was my first time. She said of course...and she just had a girl in recently who contracted HIV from her first time. I left the clinic feeling as if I had HIV.

The test results for chlamydia and gonorrhea came back negative so that made me feel good. At the same time,I found this site. I learned more about STDs in 2 weeks than I had known my entire life. I learned that the odds of my catching HIV from one exposure were quite slim, but very real nonetheless. Anyway, I forgot all about it and figured there was no way I had HIV.

But then about a week ago the 6 month mark passed and I started to not feel so well. I felt as if I was getting ill, but I rarely get sick so it got me to thinking...was it HIV??? Or what if I had syphilis (a curable disease) and didn't know it? Do I have herpes? All of these questions consumed my thoughts and let's just say they put me a pretty sour mood. So I finally stepped up to the plate and got tested for everything. The test was done on Monday of this week and my results would not be in until Thursday.

Those 3 days were probably the most uncertain time of my life. The worst case scenario was fresh in my mind. I had never been more scared in my life.

When I called Thursday morning to get the results, words cannot describe the relief I felt when the girl on the other line said, "You've tested negative for all 7 tests, including HIV, Syphilis and Herpes 1 & 2. The tests are very accurate so there is no need to retest." My first thought of course, was WOO-HOO!!!!!

This experience has taught me a valuable lesson that I will take with me the rest of my life. It's amazing how one poor choice can have devastating consequences. I've promised myself that I will never put myself in that situation again. In fact, I'm going to heed the advice of a close friend of mine in regards to protection..."It's better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them" Amen to that.

Dr. Bob, you are a breath of fresh air to all that visit this site. The tact and humor with which you answer all questions is more refreshing than you could even imagine. Not to mention, you live with the disease, but yet your hand is always out to help others. If there were more people like you walking around the world would be a brighter place.

I will be sending in a small donation of $25 in the coming days. I would send more, but as a poor graduate student, I am quite strapped for cash. Nevertheless, I want to do my part to make a difference.

So...thank you Dr. Bob.

Very Relieved Soon-to-be Dr. Himself

Hello Very Relieved,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your experience. I'm confident it will indeed help others who find themselves in a similar situation.

Thank you also for your donation. It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well.

you didnt answer me but im excited for you
Broke 25 year Celibacy