Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3rd time asking.. PLEASE answer
Jul 1, 2006

Dr. Bob,

I can't seem to get an answer to my question. Please help me as I'm freaking out once again. I had what I think you would call a low-risk exposure about 2 1/2 or so years ago. Giving unprotected oral sex to a man I did not know. It only lasted about a minute or so, with no ejaculation. He stopped in the middle of it and said something like "I can't do this" and left (it was an adult bookstore). Since then I've been freaking out because I'm thinking he was HIV positive and that's why he wanted to stop.

I have never gotten tested because, stupid as it may sound, I'm afraid to get a positive result. I'm married with a child and my wife would NEVER understand and I know I'd lose everything. I'm not always worried about this, but the worry comes and goes, especially when I get some weird symptom or other. Anyway, I have a sore throat and cough, and I'm freaking out again. Should I really be this worried? I just need some sensible advice!! Please answer. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Sensible advice requested; sensible advice provided:

1. Level with your wife. Not only is it the best way for you to cope with your guilt and anxiety over this episode, but it's also the right thing to do, whether she "understands" or not.

2. Get tested. Your HIV risk is minimal to negligible; however, being afraid of the test result doesn't change the reality of your situation.

3. You may worry the other guy in the bookstore was HIV positive because he wanted to stop; however, the more likely scenario is that he, too, had a wife and kids at home and was feeling guilty about his man-on-man action.

You asked for sensible advice and that's what you got. I never said you were going to like it, but it is indeed completely sensible.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Same strain of Hiv.Is reinfection possible
Next
HIV Risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.