Stupid Act Follow-up
Jun 30, 2006
Thanks for bringing me back to reality. And your references - A bolt from the sky hitting me or a nasty exotic spider biting me hit home. so true. I have been worrying - tired from the anxiety. It sounds like a snow ball's chance in hell. I saw a therapist - who started me on Paxil. So, it should calm my fears in a few weeks.
Magnetic couple here - he is pos, neg here. We always have protected anal - never had uprotected anal - no condoms breaking, always put my condom on at the the start, lots of good ole' lube and no tears, shreds nothing. Ok there I assume?
here is the deal, I, like an idiot, game my partner oral sex, what the hell was I thinking? He is not a pre-cumer nor did he cum in mouth. But, am I an idiot or what? I only did this twice, but it has freaked me out. His doctor said I shouldn't freak out and just move on from it as the risk was extremely low. But now I can't even have sex with my partner - I am freaked out that I went down on him without a rubber. What is my risk - 10,000 - 1 odds still scare the hell out me. As I fear I am that 1 in 10,000. His doctor said I should see a therapist over this unwarranted anxiety.
I trust you Doctor, Give it to me straight.
Response from Dr. Frascino
First the facts: the estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is indeed 1 in 10,000. Many folks find that risk so miniscule as to be acceptable. Others, such as you, may not. Just for reference, do you also fear being struck by lightening, getting bitten by a poisonous spider or finding out you are the illegitimate lovechild of Dick Cheney and Condoleezza Rice???? All these things have very long odds as well, but are nonetheless at least theoretically possible.
My suggestions are:
1. Get HIV tested at the three-month mark from your last toot on his flute. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from these two nibbles on your boyfriend's joystick. However, because you are so worried, testing may well be the most effective and efficient way to put these fears permanently to rest.
2. Read through the information in the archives of this forum that pertains to magnetic couples. Discuss with your poz partner what activities will be included in your sexual rituals, based on the medical evidence and your individual comfort levels. This way you both understand the boundaries.
3. I agree with your boyfriend's doctor: counseling may well help you confront and cope with your irrational fears and unwarranted anxiety. It may also ultimately strengthen your relationship.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Welcome back to the forum and BRAVO! for confronting and conquering your unwarranted anxieties! Hey, is that a poisonous exotic spider I see crawling up your leg? Kidding.
Stay well and give your spunky-hunky a hug from me, OK?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can I Get Hep C From Swallowing Semen?
- When They Do The Hiv Blood Test Do They Also Check For Herpes?
- When Can You Exercise After Having Shingles?
- What If Your Chlamydia Becomes Drug Resistant?
- What Effects Does Syphilis Have On Sterility And Infertility?
- What Do I Do If My Girlfriend Has Hpv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.