Show me some love doc

Hey doc, I will send my next pay check if you can please answer my 4 questions, which I could not find answers to in your forum . I used to go to Stanford (class of 00'), and would read about your work as a clinical professor in the medical journal. Your doing great things keep it up! Anyway, here is my story: I am a 24 yr old heterosexual, non drug using male. About 1 year ago I dated a high risk girl, and one month into our sexual relationship I became sick with swollen tonsils, a very bad sore throat, swollen neck lymph nodes, and pain in my right side, which the doctor attributed to a viral illness. All the symptoms disappeared, except the swollen tonsils which remain large, but painless. At the time I thought nothing of it, and continued on with my life. 6 months after that, however, I developed a cluster of small painless bumps on my scrotum, which are still present today (molloscum??). At the 8 month mark I developed eye floaters and they continue to persist today. They bother me all day and are never ending. Today, now almost a year later, i woke up with a somewhat swollen lip, and what appears to be hpv or some sort of lesion developing. My questions for you are: 1) Would it be common for symptoms to be appearing this early. I have read that symptoms typically take 8-10 years to first start, yet in reading the questions in your forum it seems there are loads of people who seem to develop symptoms within the first year. This being the case, I am confused as to if seeing symptoms before the one year mark would be the norm, or how common it actually is. 2) Can you think of any other possible std that could cause such drastic eye floaters and the other symptoms 3) The aformentioned girl I dated is currently 7 months pregnant and claims to have been tested and does not have it. She says that when your pregnant you are required to be hiv tested, so she knows for sure she is not. Is this true, doc, that all pregnant woman are required to be tested for hiv, as I could not find an answer in your forum on this. 4) I almost always use condoms, however there was one or two times I did not, both which took place in a hot tub. Would Hiv be more or less likely to be transmitted in a hot tub. Please please answer, as my life has been stress filled and non enjoyable for the last six months. I just want to get back to normal. I cant get the thought of Hiv out of my head, and it is all I can think about to the point that I feel I am going to get fired from my job because I am so preoccupied with it. Thanks for taking the time to read this, an answer will be more appreciated than you will ever know. - Steve

Hey Stanford Alum,

1. No, this would not be common.

2. Sorry I can't diagnose medical problems with such limited information and no laboratory studies and without the benefit of a medical exam.

3. HIV testing is offered and strongly encouraged for all moms-to-be.

4. Less likely, however if Mr. Happy was in the love canal without his raincoat on, transmission is still possible.

Steve, being a Stanford alum, you probably already know the advice I'm about to give but here it is nonetheless:

1. Stop trying to be a medical doctor by diagnosing your own conditions molluscum, HPV, etc. If you have symptoms, you need to see a real doctor for evaluation and proper management.

2. Symptoms or no symptoms, since you put yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV, you need to be screened. An STD screen can be done by any physician. HIV rapid tests can give you a definitive answer within 20 minutes. There is no other way to know if you've been infected or not. If you're still in the Palo Alto area and are worried about confidentiality or whatever, just make an appointment at the Frascino Medical Group (650-917-1357) and all of this can be handled anonymously and very efficiently. We'll even hold your hand during the 20 minutes it takes for the HIV test result to develop. Steve, you've spent enough time stressing and worrying about this. Now it's time to do something about it, OK?

Good luck!

PCR or ELISA?
Window Period and Medrol (anti-immune drug)