Bush is killing me... Literally...

Dr. Bob, I have a unique question. But before I ask Id like to give you a little back ground info on how this whole ordeal began.

When I turned 18 I thought it would be a good idea to join the Army so I could scrounge up some change to put me through college. Well, I checked into my first duty station on September 10th 2001. As you can guess I was, shortly thereafter, deployed to Iraq. While fighting for Bushs crusade to force his conservative, bible beatin views on the rest of the world I came into contact with a lot of blood (some US soldiers blood and some Iraqis) and given the circumstances I was unable to protect myself with gloves. During one incident I had open wounds on my hands which were covered in blood.

A few months after this particular exposure I began to get painful lymph nodes in my neck, armpits, and groin which have now lasted over 1 year. I also had a series of sore throats which would come and go over a period of a couple months. However, I didnt become extremely worried until I began to experience some pretty intense abdominal pains under my left rib cage and also in the left flank (possibly kidney??) accompanied by chronic diarrhea. I recently went to the Docs and he said I also have seborrheic dermatitis. He went ahead and tested me for Hep. B & C, and HIV.

The test results for Hep. B & C came back negative. However, I had blood drawn in December of 2005 and according to this new blood test (June 20th 2006) the doctor told me that my white blood cell count has dropped to a 4.5. I do not know what it was before, however, the doctor did not sound too concerned about it. The results for the HIV test have not came in yet but should be available in the next week or so. ( I really need some of that good luck karma sent my way!!)

Now for the questions

1.) What would the normal range for a white blood cell count be for a generally healthy 24 y/o male? 2.) Do my symptoms sound anything like ARS to you? 3.) What type of infections could cause painful lymph nodes? 4.) If I do have HIV is there anyway we can sneak me into the Dubyas house so I can give him what he might have given me!?!

I'll answer your question first:

1. On average, a healthy adult has between 4,000 and 11,000 white blood cells per cubic millimeter or microliter of blood. Your value of 4.5 (4,500) is completely normal.

2. No.

3. There are many. Listing them really wouldn't be helpful. Your doctor will need to evaluate this problem if the symptoms persist.

4. Sneaking you into Dubya's house? Well, OK, but giving him HIV would require you to have sex with him and I couldn't imagine anything less appetizing than that (except perhaps having sex with Cheney or Rummy).

Hopefully by the time you are reading this message, your HIV results have returned and you are WOO-HOO-ing so loud they can hear you in Baghdad's fortified Green Zone.

As for Bush's calamitous war in Iraq, I couldn't agree with you more! Iraq is an unwinnable war, a flaming quicksand of destruction sucking in lives and billions of dollars. Bush's strategic blunder continues to produce mind-boggling levels of bloodshed, chaos and misery in Iraq, and certainly hasn't made any country, including the U.S., any safer. Bush and his cronies are killing us all . . . literally.

Good luck with your HIV test results. I'll send my best good-luck karma. And finally, thank you for serving our country bravely and valiantly, despite the tragically misguided nature of the mission.

Another Whoo - Hoo
Please post this woo hoo!