Lipoatrophy... abd the fat has gone to my gut

Dear Dr. Bob,

You have written lots on facial wasting, and thanks! Butt my problem is this - my belly has become the reservoir of fat cells from my limbs and butt. I weigh the same as I did in high school, and I'm age 68 now.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks, Lee

Hello Lee,

When we first began noticing body-shape changes related to HIV/AIDS and AIDS medications, the term lipodystrophy was coined. We assumed that fat was being redistributed from the face, arms, legs and butt to the abdomen and upper back (buffalo hump). We now realize this is not the case. Fat loss in the face and extremities (lipoatrophy) and fat deposition in the abdomen and upper back (lipohypertrophy) are two completely different and separate processes.

The complete story of these two conditions is still evolving. We are rapidly learning how to keep these conditions from ever developing in the first place and also how best to treat them if they do occur. Your first step should be to discuss your concerns with your HIV specialist. He will then review your treatment options. Also, you can learn more by listening to the pod casts or by reading the transcripts of the pod casts related to this topic on this site. There you will find additional insights directly related to this topic that I and other experts have provided.

Good luck, Lee.

what didn't you expect?
Did you go away?