Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Donation Today: third submission and desire to feel less worried.
Jun 26, 2006

Hello Dr. Bob,

Like so many others, I am a worrier. However, since you are quite the expert, I was hoping that you would be kind enough to give your opinion. Here is what has happened to me over the course of the past several years in terms of symptoms:

Once I began college, I became what I consider to be pretty ill. I had a really horrific sore throat and could hardly get out of bed. I was tested for mono, but that wasnt the problem. Through the course of the next year or so, I had several more colds then I would consider usual. However, since that time, I have only gotten sick occasionally. Could this be because I was adjusting to my new lifestyle or something more?

Over the past several months, I have been experiencing a runny nose everyday. Through my own research, I do not feel as though I have any type of sinus infection because I dont have any other symptoms of one. Why else would my nose be running?

I also have what I thought were petechiae mostly on my arms. I know that these are commonly found on the legs and usually fade with time. They do not fade and do not have any type of purplish hue to them. They are red. My doctor told me that she did not think they were petechiae but rather sunspots. Now, I think that she was probably right.

Lastly, I experience numbness/tingling occasionally. I have had problems with my hands and wrists over the course of about 6 years now. I thought that this was from typing. However, I also experience this in my feet, thighs, and arms. It does not occur symmetrically each time it occurs but about 50% of the time, and I know that having the numbness/tingling feeling in my thigh and probably my upper arms is also atypical.

So my question to you is: In your expert opinion, could the combination of these symptoms be a result of HIV?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your symptoms are neither suggestive of nor worrisome for HIV disease. I agree you are a worrier! Most importantly, symptoms or no symptoms, you need worry about HIV only if you've placed yourself at risk for acquiring the virus through unsafe sex or by sharing I.V. drug paraphernalia with someone who is HIV positive. If you've placed yourself at risk, you need an HIV test three months or more after your last possible exposure. If you haven't placed yourself at risk, you have no reason to worry about HIV. It really is just that simple and straightforward. Worrying is not helpful, nor does it change any of the facts. Take a read through the archives of this forum. I'm quite certain you'll find the information here both enlightening and reassuring.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How do I donate?
Next
what didn't you expect?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.