Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Living with a positive roommate
Jun 23, 2006

Based on a reading of previous responses, I'm going to guess that I have nothing to worry about. At the same time, I guess I am concerned, and even if I don't get a response, the simple act of writing out my worries will help.

I'm a gay male living with an HIV+ roommate. I've never had unsafe sex (hell, I rarely have sex,) and have never used intravenous drugs. My last HIV test, requested as part of my physical, 4 weeks ago came back negative.

I suspect my roommate recently used my moisturizer face lotion. Since I'm usually the first awake in the morning, it's likely that at least 8-12 hours elapsed between when he might have used it and I next used it.

Suppose he used my lotion having just shaven, with trace amounts of blood on his hands tranferred to the mouth of the bottle, and I used the same lotion the next morning, having just shaven, with small nicks in my skin.

My guess is that I have a negligible risk of transmission. Since HIV does not survive well outside of the body, even if some were suspended in my moisturizer overnight, it would probably not be viable the next morning.

Nevertheless, I am concerned. I would like my risk to be zero, since I plan to quit my job and go back to school. I guess I ought to know better - that risk is ever-present, but that relative risk is low.

Even if I don't hear back, thanks for listening, and take care.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yep! Based on your reading of the previous responses, your guess that you have nothing to worry about is absolutely correct! You have zero risk! Congratulations on coming to the logical, rational and correct response! That happens so rarely around here! The only things you have to be at all concerned about from what I can deduce from you post are:

1. Having a roommate who's using your stuff without asking permission.

2. Running out of moisturizer sooner than you expected.

3. Rarely having sex! (What's up with that? Stop moisturizing so much and try lubing up instead!)

Stay well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Body Aches For A Month
Next
How do I donate?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.