HIV - 2 Not Picked Up By Elisa?

hello doc much appreciation on the work your doing, i will keep it short as im aware of how much emails you recieve.

After two years, since my last incident of having a protected Vaginal intercoure with a girl from india, i took my test for hiv just recently, the results were negative. Im currently in Uk and the type of test which would be used by a GUM clinic is an elisa (im pretty sure) my question 1. would the test pick up this other strain of virus 2. do you think im in need of a retest based on my situation 3. after 2 years would antibodies start producing IF i had a hiv2 strain 4. is it worth testing as the girl is from india and hiv rates are considerably high in that part of the world. i am aware that this type of virus is very rare and really present in western africa but your advise would be much appeciated. I would also like to make a generous donation to your foundation. please could you reply

thank you Aj

Hello Aj,

"Protected" vaginal sex is indeed protected, if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Consequently, testing may not even have been necessary at all. To address your specific questions:

1. Some ELISAs do screen for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. I have no way of knowing exactly what type of ELISA you actually had done. You'll need to contact the GUM clinic to check that out.

2. No, as mentioned above, you may not have even needed the initial test.

3. Yes.

4. Nope!

Thank you for your desire to make a donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Stay well.

How safe/unsafe is it?
The Prilosec Guy