blood donation

Dear Dr Bob,

You have been so wonderful and informative in your answers to me. May I ask one final q? I promise I will never ask another q because i know so many others need you as well. I have a neg Hiv test at 25 weeks and neg antibody for hep b at 35 weeks and neg riba for hep c at 35 weeks with a neg Hcv Pcr by Rna at 18 weeks. You gave me the 'all clear' to stop testing and move on, which I have done.

My q is this : Is there any reason why I could not be a blood donor? Obviously, a person with Hiv or Hepatitis could not donate blood but since I have the 'all clear' from you, i would like to do that. I believe it is wrong to donate blood to be checked for Hiv/hep so I want to be 'all clear' before doing so. My only health problem is high cholesterol. Is there a reason why I could not donate blood? Many thanks, good doctor. I hope you and Dr Steve are well and enjoying life. Have a great time this summer in France. You're the bonzer, (aussie word for 'great').

Ohio Fan

Hey Ohio Fan,

I see absolutely no reason why you should not donate blood. Just answer all the questions on the screening questionnaire honestly and completely and "she'll be apples" (another Aussie expression!).

Be well. Stay well.

need encouragement
A worried man, asking the fourth time