( i will donate the h*ll out of your organization) pen stab incident

dear good doctor i was accidently stabbed with a pen when i turned around quickly at work. now, the person whos pen it was i know was bleeding and they are a heroine user (ruff neighborhood). ok so, the pen point was not out but somehow the hollow part still punctured my skin (with out the point sticking out) now, if their blood was in the tip of the pen - in the hollow part that did go into me (and made me bleed) - would i be at risk for hiv or hepatitis viruses?

dr bob please respond i can donate to your group!

-sarah

Hello Sarah,

The chances that your workmate's blood was actually in the hollow part of the pen that stabbed you are so remote as to be essentially nonexistent. After all, even though he is a heroine user, I'm quite sure he doesn't use his Bic to shoot up! I see no cause for concern, but if you remain stressed out, get an HIV test at the three-month mark. It will be negative.

Do be careful at work, OK? After all, one of your workmates might need to use a letter opener one of these days.

Stay well.

2nd message from a worried man
Sero discordance + risk