Magnetic couple concern

Dear Dr. Bob, this site in wonderful and your best effort to provide professional advices to people that have hiv concern is really fantastic.

OK, I have some concerns. I started to date a guy who told me he is hiv+ and I am hiv-. It is really great for him to let me know upfront cause I am a top and he is a bottom. I always use condom when engaging in anal sex but somewhat lax in using condom when performing or receiving oral from a sex partner.

I really like this guy though it is still early to say whether he can become my partner in the future, but it is a good start. My first concern is, if from now on, I put condom on for every sex acts including oral, will my risk of contracting hiv very minimal if I use condom properly. Another concern is, I do have gingivitis and I go to dentist every three months to clean my gums and teeth, and the gingivitis is getting better. So what is the risk of deep kissing with the guy when I have gingivitis.

I really appreciate you can educated me on these concerns.

Many thanks, Dr. Bob!

Regarding HIV prevention and condoms, "protected" sex is indeed protected if the latex condom is used properly and does not fail. HIV cannot pass through intact latex. No way. No how.

Regarding gingivitis, continue to work with your dentist to clear this problem up. Don't forget to floss! Kissing, even deep kissing, is considered to be a minimal to negligible risk.

As for "magnetic couple" issues in general, take a read through the archives. There is a subheading for "magnetic couples." Hopefully you'll find the information there helpful as well as encouraging.

Good luck. Stay well!

you're an amazing person
protected sex=unprtected oral