Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need Help To Let Go!!!
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks for the time Dr. Bob!

I wrote to you a few months ago ("A Huge Huge Result") and was convinced that I had dodged the HIV bullet. Hmmm?? I have tested 1,2,3,4 months Neg. by DNA PCR, 4 Elisas out to 9 months, 14 Oraquiks out to 8.5 months. I tested the source of my last and only exposure which was unprotected insertive oral sex with "Pro" 6 months after out only contact together and she was Neg. by Elisa. I tested my wife 4 months after she started to show symptoms similar to my own. Neg. by Oraquik. This SHOULD be overwhelming evidence against HIV infection. My ID Dr. suggests that I never test for this again unless I have another exposure. He also tested me for HIV 2, HTLV 1 & 2, Herpes 1 & 2. All Neg. However my GP suggests that I test out to 2 years to be absolutley sure! WHAT! He is the one who at the start of all this said would never have even tested me for an exposure like that to begin with! But because of the ongoing symptoms, some of which my wife also has, he says 2 years. I have had white tongue, loose stools, red eyes, dry flaky skin, fullness in ears, numbness in hands and face, reactive lymph nodes confirmed by MRI. These are the ones that have persisted for 9 months. My wife has experienced fewer symptoms but still have persisted for about 7-8 months. I am encouraged by the clear fact that I have read about so many others on this forum that date back years who have the same identical type stories and keep testing Neg. However it does seem to fit a pattern of either some type of an infection or perhaps stress. This along with my GP recommendations for testing has got me really spun in circles! Another interesting consistent fact I have discovered in the archives is that it appears that with those who tested pos. after an exposure also had a very severe Flu like episode which they fully recovered from with no other symptoms. Some are very surprised to find out they are pos. because of how healthy they feel, but do recall a very bad Flu like illness. I did not have anything like this. Could there be that much of a difference in one persons immune system from another that one tests pos. in weeks after and the other not for months and months after. For those who test pos. shortly after an exposure seem to be the ones who have a 2-3 week flu like illness and then no other symptoms. Could the multiple and enrelenting symptoms I have experienced indicate that my immune system has in fact not developed enough antibodies to put the virus in check or could this be some other type of HIV or infection?

What would you do if you were me?

My wife forgave me for my acts, but now says she gonna dump me because of all my concern over this.

I Just can't escape this madness!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"SHOULD be overwhelming evidence against HIV infection??????" SHOULD????? HELLO!!!! You've had 4 negative DNA PCRs, 4 negative ELISAs, 14 negative OraQuicks!!!! What else could you possibly need? A partridge in a pear tree???

Dude, I agree you "need to let go." The best way to do that is to "let go" of your nutso GP who is recommending testing out to two years. He's clearly either impressively misinformed or delusional.

What would I do if I were you?

1. Dump the incompetent GP.

2. Seek the help of a psychiatrist to help confront and conquer irrational and totally unwarranted HIV fears.

3. Buy the wife a nice piece of bling.

Dr. Bob

Previous
couldn't find this in the archives...
Next
Dental Error

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.