Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Suceptibility of Senior Citizens
Jun 17, 2006

Dr. Frascino,

Is the susceptibility of senior citizens to HIV more than that of younger persons because of aging and weakening of the immune system?

I am a senior, just a little south of 70 and had an exposure, limited though it was, a few weeks ago and am trying to decide if I should be tested. In summary, I was getting a massage in Korea and the masseuse decided she would "assist" and gave my lollipop a few licks and put the head in her mouth for a few seconds (it worked). She brought me to a climax manually and that was that, except for the business transaction.

Research on your site indicates risk between non-existent and .05 per 10,000, but I'm wondering if this level of risk also applies to us seniors. Is it a waste of time and resources to be tested? If not, how do I find a place in the Santa Cruz, CA area where I can get an anonymous rapid test?

Thanks, Doctor, and keep up the great work.

Sincerely, Manamasan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Manamasan,

The body's immune-response mechanisms do decrease somewhat with age; however, that does not necessarily increase your risk for HIV. The HIV statistics you quote are not age specific, so yes they would apply to horny granddaddies as well as young bucks. Your HIV risk remains extremely low. I don't know of any anonymous rapid test sites in Santa Cruz; however, if you want to take a drive over the hill, we do offer completely anonymous rapid tests at the Frascino Medical Group, Inc in Los Altos. The number to call for an appointment is 650-917-1357.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
To reduce possibility of acquiring HIV
Next
A 100 WOOHOO!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.