Suceptibility of Senior Citizens

Dr. Frascino,

Is the susceptibility of senior citizens to HIV more than that of younger persons because of aging and weakening of the immune system?

I am a senior, just a little south of 70 and had an exposure, limited though it was, a few weeks ago and am trying to decide if I should be tested. In summary, I was getting a massage in Korea and the masseuse decided she would "assist" and gave my lollipop a few licks and put the head in her mouth for a few seconds (it worked). She brought me to a climax manually and that was that, except for the business transaction.

Research on your site indicates risk between non-existent and .05 per 10,000, but I'm wondering if this level of risk also applies to us seniors. Is it a waste of time and resources to be tested? If not, how do I find a place in the Santa Cruz, CA area where I can get an anonymous rapid test?

Thanks, Doctor, and keep up the great work.

Sincerely, Manamasan

Hello Manamasan,

The body's immune-response mechanisms do decrease somewhat with age; however, that does not necessarily increase your risk for HIV. The HIV statistics you quote are not age specific, so yes they would apply to horny granddaddies as well as young bucks. Your HIV risk remains extremely low. I don't know of any anonymous rapid test sites in Santa Cruz; however, if you want to take a drive over the hill, we do offer completely anonymous rapid tests at the Frascino Medical Group, Inc in Los Altos. The number to call for an appointment is 650-917-1357.

Be well. Stay well.

To reduce possibility of acquiring HIV
A 100 WOOHOO!!