Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need advice PLEASE!!
Jun 17, 2006

Doc, I need advice please and plan to donate!! I am day 25 post a protected vaginal intercourse with a prostitute. My partner (whom I may become divorced from soon, hense the stupid act) spotted for 6-7 days prior to getting her period 3 days ago, I freaked out. I thought I may have given her a STD (ie vaginal bleeding without discharge between periods). I recieved my lab tests this morning. Neg all stds including Hiv, the antibody test for hep b was positive yet the core was negative (I have been vaccinated with the three shots a few years ago). We both have had a runny nose and reddness in my throat with moderate discomfort.

To end this ramble, what are my chances that these tests did not pick something up? Could she still have an STD (ie chly, gon.) if I tested negative to the entire panel (we have had unprotected sex twice since the incident). What are the numbers as far as showing up this early for HIV? I should have a 3 month test correct? Is the home access test kit ok?

Thank you, I plan on sending in big bucks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

First off, "protected" vaginal sex is indeed protected, if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail.

Next, HIV testing prior to three months is not considered definitive and therefore not recommended. Home Access tests are FDA approved and very accurate.

Regarding symptoms, I cannot diagnose yours or your wife's symptoms over the Internet. However, I can tell you that the chances of them being related to HIV are essentially nonexistent.

My advice is simple:

1. Since you are clearly worried, get an HIV test at the three-month mark. You could even consider a rapid test. The results are available in 20 minutes.

2. If your wife is having spotting or other symptoms, have her see her doctor for a checkup and to evaluate these concerns.

Finally,

Thank you for your offer to send a tax-deductible donation to my foundation, The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Helping others in need is a very good way to rack up some excellent karma with the higher powers! I'll also send you my good-luck/good-health karma that your three-month definitive test will remain negative (as I strongly suspect it will!).

Good luck! Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
concerned that three warts - waiting by my computer
Next
To reduce possibility of acquiring HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.