Need advice PLEASE!!

Doc, I need advice please and plan to donate!! I am day 25 post a protected vaginal intercourse with a prostitute. My partner (whom I may become divorced from soon, hense the stupid act) spotted for 6-7 days prior to getting her period 3 days ago, I freaked out. I thought I may have given her a STD (ie vaginal bleeding without discharge between periods). I recieved my lab tests this morning. Neg all stds including Hiv, the antibody test for hep b was positive yet the core was negative (I have been vaccinated with the three shots a few years ago). We both have had a runny nose and reddness in my throat with moderate discomfort.

To end this ramble, what are my chances that these tests did not pick something up? Could she still have an STD (ie chly, gon.) if I tested negative to the entire panel (we have had unprotected sex twice since the incident). What are the numbers as far as showing up this early for HIV? I should have a 3 month test correct? Is the home access test kit ok?

Thank you, I plan on sending in big bucks!

First off, "protected" vaginal sex is indeed protected, if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail.

Next, HIV testing prior to three months is not considered definitive and therefore not recommended. Home Access tests are FDA approved and very accurate.

Regarding symptoms, I cannot diagnose yours or your wife's symptoms over the Internet. However, I can tell you that the chances of them being related to HIV are essentially nonexistent.

My advice is simple:

1. Since you are clearly worried, get an HIV test at the three-month mark. You could even consider a rapid test. The results are available in 20 minutes.

2. If your wife is having spotting or other symptoms, have her see her doctor for a checkup and to evaluate these concerns.

Finally,

Thank you for your offer to send a tax-deductible donation to my foundation, The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Helping others in need is a very good way to rack up some excellent karma with the higher powers! I'll also send you my good-luck/good-health karma that your three-month definitive test will remain negative (as I strongly suspect it will!).

Good luck! Stay safe. Stay well.

concerned that three warts - waiting by my computer
To reduce possibility of acquiring HIV