Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I have PEP'ed? A little Confused
Jun 16, 2006

Hello Doctor:

I recently had an experience with someone is HIV positive. I had protected anal sex - the condom was used from start to finish and it didn't break at all. I also performed oral on him - lightly - no cum or precum in mouth - I rimmed him before the anal. Should I have PEP'ed? I am a bit scared, but the clinic told me my "fears" are totally unwarranted and I should test if I need the piece of mind. But I wanted to see what your thoughts are. I know PEP must be taken before 72 hours - but do think I should have taken it?

Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I agree with the advice your clinic provided. PEP was not warranted.

"Protected" sex would not be a risk for HIV, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Oral sex carries a very minimal risk of HIV transmission. There have been no recorded cases of getting HIV form rimming or getting rimmed. However, hepatitis A, intestinal parasites and herpes can be contracted through rimming without a barrier.

Dr. Bob

Previous
UNANSWERED IN FORUM
Next
Please Robin Hod!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.