Testing @ Frascino Medical Clinic

Dr. Bob,

I have donated several times to www.concertedeffort.org and plan to again. Thanks for all you do.

I'm from MS and we are still behind in anonymous testing thing and being from the bible belt Dr. Office test are uncomftable for me. Seems the doctors and nurses are judging you no matter the outcome (no wonder people dont want to get tested). Anyhow, my job has me on the road and I was in your areatried to call to talk to someone about maybe getting tested while in CA. I have been tested @ 4, 9, and 11 weeks 4 days (all negative).

I had woo hood but I keep having underlying symptoms (burning sensationlike a sun burn on my legs, feet, hands. Anyway, I had MRI and EMG but they came back normal. I said that it was all in my head and tried to move forward. Now my wife (who I have confessed my lapse in judgement to) is coming down with similar symptoms. She also has had a vaginal yeast infection and Candida under her breast (never had these before either).

Here are my questions: (1) Should I test one more time it is now past 6 months, (2) Does your office do walk in anonymous test (20 30 minutes) my job takes me into your area regularly, (3) The doctor diagnosed my burning sensation as PN, how long after HIV infection would someone show signs of PN, and (4) could other STD(s) cause the sunburn like sensation, if sowhich ones (my doctor did do a full panel blood test to rule out diabetes, Thyroid problems, B12, etc. but has not done any STD tests except the HIV test that I had to make him do. My symptoms were weak/tired legs, diahhrea (2 + weeks), itchy arms, legs, feet, and under arms, burning sensations throughout the body (now just feet, calves, hands), lost 15 pounds but have put most of it back on now, High blood pressure/rapid heart rate.

I know test trumps symptoms but Im beginning to worry again especially with the wife starting to have the same symptoms. I know you can diagnose my problem over the internet but looking for some guidance.

Thanks in advance,

NeedInfo2

Hello NeedInfo2,

First, let me briefly respond to your questions:

1. I don't have the details of your potential exposure, but I can tell you that for routine potential HIV exposures, a three-month test is considered definitive. However, testing out to six months is an option that is always open to you.

2. The Frascino Medical Group does do anonymous HIV tests, but not on a walk-in basis. You'll need to call and schedule an appointment (650-917-1357). If we didn't schedule appointments, you wouldn't have the physician's undivided attention!

3. Peripheral neuropathy can be caused by many things other than HIV. These conditions include toxic neuropathies due to drugs, diabetes, entrapment neuropathies, B12 deficiency, alcoholism, uremia, inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathies, etc. When the cause is HIV related, it generally occurs with low CD4 counts and/or certain anti-HIV drugs (ddI, d4T, ddC).

4. This constellation of symptoms is not consistent with any STD; however, you are correct: I cannot diagnose your problem over the Internet. That you've had a negative MRI and a negative EMG is very encouraging.

Regarding your next step for further evaluation and a possible visit to the Frascino Medical Group, you have two options:

1. Call and schedule an anonymous HIV rapid test. You'll have your result within 20 minutes. And I would strongly anticipate that result would be negative.

2. Call and schedule a complete second-opinion consultation. This would be a thorough evaluation of all your previous tests, current symptoms, a complete physical examination, an HIV rapid test (if indicated and desired) and complete assessment and recommendations. This type of visit can also be done on a completely anonymous basis.

Dr. Don Frascino, can I make this nightmare sleep with the fishes.
PAYPAL !!! You finally got it!!!!