Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv 2 research
Jun 13, 2006

i am worried this guy i shared bleached needles with who was hiv+ was secretly hiv2+ and didn't specify. i have been hiv1 neg 23 times, and it has been three years since i was on drugs.now that i've done hiv1 to death, i'm onto hiv2.i have researched some more. this guy i was with got tested monthly; viral load and t-cells.but one website said they can't test viral load in hiv2, and another said they could. do you know if these signs point to him having hiv2 or hiv1? i can't remember the medications he was on,they all sound the same.i might actually kill myself if i can't let this go, it's been hiv hell for 3 years,but whenever i get tested i also get suicidal and at least hurt myself. he was infected in 1990, around when there were 10 confirmed cases in his state.i have no idea if he hung around with people from west africa or not, but he worked on a fishing boat, which could be a bad omen.i keep seeing liscense plates that have a P and a T(God saying, "positive... two")please help me doctor, as you help SO many others.thank YOU for doing great work for all of us.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You think God is speaking to you in coded license plates??? Gosh, have you seen any with an L and a T lately??? That could stand for Loony Tunes!

Dude, 23 HIV tests??? Which part of HIV negative didn't you understand the first 22 times???

I would say your risk of HIV-2 is nonexistent. You bleached your works! Plus, HIV-2 remains extremely rare. However, since you are indeed being driven 'round the bend by your completely irrational fears, why not just get a rapid test? You'll have definitive proof that neither HIV-1 nor HIV-2 is your problem within 20 minutes. There are at least two FDA-approved rapid tests that screen for HIV-2: OraQuick HIV-1/HIV-2 (made by OraSure Technologies) and Multispot HIV-1/HIV-2 (made by Bio-Rad Labs).

Since these tests give results within 20 minutes, hopefully you won't have time to jump off a bridge or drink a gallon of arsenic.

Finally, I do believe you should consider psychiatric help, even if your HIV-2 test is negative (as I strongly suspect it will be). Your problems appear to go far deeper than irrational HIV fears.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
EIA METHODOLOGY.....what's this?
Next
How are we doing?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.