Elevated White Blood Cells

Hi Dr Bob, I really love your forum and think you do a wonderful job.

I had a recent possible exposure to HIV about 2 months ago, unprotected vaginal with a girl of unknown status.

Last week I went for a physical and the doctor told me that everything was normal, except that my white blood cell count was slightly elevated (10.8).

Can an elevated white blood cell count be an early indicator of HIV infection?

Also, how do I go about making a donation to your foundation?

Thank you,

David.

Hello David,

White blood cell counts, whether they are increased, decreased or normal, cannot predict HIV infection. The only test that can do that is an HIV-specific test. I recommend you have an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. Tests taken prior to that are not considered definitive. The odds remain all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this one-time lapse in judgment. (It was a lapse in judgment, wasn't it, David?)

Donation information for the foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

I'm sending you my best good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative!

Good luck and David, to avoid future worry, remember to cover your stump before you hump!

Can I really get a woo hoo ?
$250 Donation Made,, Many Thanks