Can I really get a woo hoo ?

Hi Dr. Bob,

a couple questions from recently deeply troupled aka shanghai surprise. I went in for my 12 week on this most auspicious of dates and got a NEG! I am happy about that, but my counselor says that 12 weeks is not definitive and I should do PCR - I wonder why they do that.

Questions

1) Can I really get a woo hoo!!!!? you may remember me, you said my risk was negligible to non-existent.

2) Would it be prudent to have unprotected sex with my wife?

Thank you for all of your support. While I doubt I will consult this page on a daily basis any longer. I will check in periodically and keep you on my charitable donation list. You offer a great service and island of refuge in a very rough sea....keep up the good work...and again my deepest gratitude to you!

1. If your counselor is recommending a PCR for routine HIV screening following a negative 12-week ELISA for a negligible to nonexistent HIV risk, your counselor needs some counseling on how to better counsel! Your 12-week negative ELISA is definitive and conclusive. No further HIV testing is warranted and, even if it were, it wouldn't be a PCR as PCRs are not recommended for routine screening due to their rate of false-positive results.

2. Well, since I don't know what your wife looks like or how good she is between the sheets, I really can't comment on whether it would be prudent to have sex with her or not; however, based on your conclusive HIV test results following a negligible to nonexistent risk, it would certainly be safe to rock 'n' roll with her.

Stay well.

WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM DR? READ THIS!
Elevated White Blood Cells