Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Doctor Bob I need your help
Jun 6, 2006

Hi Doctor Bob,

I'm posting this question from Nicaragua and in fact is the second time I'm sending it since it's been almost a week and I haven't seen your answer posted yet. I know you must get tons of questions, but I really need your expert opinion since we don't have many experts on this subject here in my country.

The original title question was:

Confuse about test results

And the question was:

I went to the Hospital to get tested for HIV (they took a blood sample from my vain) after possible exposure at 18 weeks, my result was ready in 1 hour and it read: HIV (1&2) Negative Negative. This is not an ELISA test nor a Western Blot, so my questions are: What kind or type of test is this? Can the results be obtain this fast (1 hour)? Is this a relyable or appropiate testing method for diagnosing hiv infection? How conclussive are my results? Do I need to be retested again with a different method?

Please Doctor, I really need to here from some one who really knows what his talking about, because after spending 18 weeks of suffering, I thought the fear would go away once I got my results, I went 3 days feeling like if I was reborn, but then the douts about the results entered my mind again and I'm back where I started, wake up at 3am and can't go back to sleep, I feel like a burning sansation all over my body and my skin feels like if I have a real bad sun burn, and I can't shake all the negative thoughts from my head. Please Doc, what's going on with me?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I have no way of knowing exactly what test was run at your Nicaraguan hospital. If the result read "HIV 1&2 Negative Negative," I can only assume it was some type of HIV-antibody assay for both HIV-1 and HIV-2, and that the result for each was negative.

Regarding the one-hour result, this is not a problem. Various rapid HIV-screening tests can produce very accurate and reliable rest results within 20 minutes!

I have no reason to doubt the validity of your negative 18-month test. I would consider the result definitive and I do not feel additional testing is warranted.

I believe your current problem is one of anxiety and irrational fear of HIV. Counseling may help you confront and conquer these problems.

HIV is certainly not your problem. No way. No how.

Dr. Bob

Previous
You the Man Doc!!!
Next
Do I need PCR test or psychiatrist?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.