A recent trip to Blow Buddies - wow

Hi Doctor F,

I hear about Blow Buddies in one or your responses on here and decided I would check it out when I was on the west coast. Wow, what a place. All I did was JO, but there is a lot of oral sex going on there. I was talking to two guys who say they come there 4 times a week, stay a few hours give BJ's to dozens upon dozens of guys and yet they claim they are still HIV negative. how can that be? one of the guys claims he has performed close to 1,000 bjs in the past year. Is oral sex really that low a risk? These guys don't use condoms, in fact, I didn't see one person using a condom for oral there. While it was hot, I just couldn't bring myself to participating in oral - giving or getting. I do sometimes give guys oral, but no one has ejaculated in mouth, how low is my risk? I am sure along the way someone I performed oral was positive, I just try and lower my risk by never taking ejaculate. Is oral really an extremely low risk - there just seems to be a lot of oral sex going around in this world. I just wish I saw some people wearing condoms for oral at blow buddies.

Thanks,

Mit

Hey Mit,

Oral sex is indeed very low risk, based on epidemiological studies and statistical-risk estimates. However, we certainly cannot say it is risk free. The estimated per-act risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected oral receptive or insertive sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 per 10,000 exposures and 0.5 per 10,000 exposures respectively. That risk can be brought essentially to zero if you use a condom and it doesn't fail. However, from your personal in depth research at Blow Buddies, you can see that lots of guys are more than willing to accept the risk associated with unprotected oral sex. That doesn't mean you have to! Everyone needs to set their own safe-sex limits, based on medical facts of known risk and their personal comfort levels. Maybe you should move to San Francisco and start a new sex club Latex Buddies?!?

woo hoo downunder
What's the risk?