Too much enthusiasm

Hi Dr. Bob, I love reading your responses and I think you do a great job helping to calm those of us that are freaking out.

I had an incident back on Feb 11 where I had receptive anal and I think the little rubber broke from too much enthusiasm. I believe the guy also climaxed inside me.

Anyhow, I tested negative via an Elisa blood test at 13 weeks (93 days) after the exposure. I also had a viral load test done which came back "undetectable". I know you always say not to have this test done but I was so stressed out I couldn't help myself. I don't know the guy's status but I do know that he's pretty sexually active.

I should be happy but I'm having neuropathy like symptoms for the past 12 weeks which involves burning sensations in my feet and calves at night. During the day it sometimes feels like I'm wearing a sock even when I'm not.

How conclusive are my results? Do you think I need to go for any further testing at the six month mark?

Thanks and keep up the good work with the good sense of humor you always show.

I would consider your negative 13-week ELISA and "viral load" tests to be definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

I can't diagnose the burning sensation in your feet over the Internet. But I can advise you what's not causing it. It's not HIV.

I do not believe you need additional HIV tests, although that option always remains open to you. If you do test at six months, it will be negative.

Finally, next time you plan to get that enthusiastic, I'd suggest a more liberal application of lube. Always remember "lubrication is your friend."

Stay well.

superinfection with low viral load
Rejected blood donation